Tricky or Finicky Eater Thread

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I thought I’d make a thread for those of us that keep fish that may be difficult to get feeding, or maybe occasionally get in a new fish that we can’t get to eat no matter what.

I have learned a thing or two about difficult species over the years, and many times once they eat one thing you turn the key on them eating other things almost immediately. Once they decide to eat in captivity they continue and quickly move to other foods!

Some foods to have on hand for finicky eaters - live blackworms, live brine, clam on a half shell, live mussels, large flakes such as formula 2 (yes, flakes), large pellets, red nori, garlic guard, PE or CA mystics, and many others— a variety is rarely a bad idea.

Garlic is good and often works well to entice new eaters but it isn’t advised long-term due to recent suspicion that it can cause long-term health effects. I prefer garlic guard.

Species specific suggestions:

Tangs:
picky tangs often want nori. Sometimes they show no interest, won’t eat frozen, and refuse food and deteriorate over a week or more. Live brine entices nearly any tang to feed (that isn’t ill in some way). Some tangs expect flakes, something I do not feed My large Achilles and large dussumeiri we’re trying to starve themselves for a week until flakes were added which they gobbled up and proceeded to eat other foods. Live blackworms and red nori are good bets as well.

Butterflies:
Butterflies eat a variety of things, but they often react well to live black worms— particularly copperband. Live brine, live mussels give you a great chance if they won’t eat other things as well.

Dwarf Angels:
Dwarf angels can be tricky, and I find that live blackworms work well for them. I’ve found live brine, sponge, and red nori to be enticing as well.

Large Angels:
It’s important to know that many angels feed on sponges. Some feed almost exclusively on sponges in the wild. Taking pineapple sponge out of your display tank can work well. Above all, I’ve found live mussels to be enticing for even the pickiest angels. Clam on a halfshell is a good bet, too but if that doesn’t work try live mussels. Some will be enticed by live blackworms as well, and some that refuse to eat will eat red nori.

Wrasses: atop this list for wrasses is live blackworms. Even more than most fish, they find their movements irresistible. For parrotfish and some wrasse large pellets are found to be irresistible where they won’t otherwise eat. Frozen mysis is alluring to them, and live brine is a way to entice them to start eating it as well.

Pufferfish: live mussels, clam on the half shell, freeze-dried jumbo krill (soak in selcon, vita chem, or zoe), and worst-case scenario live fish temporarily such as rosys.

Lion fish/Scorpion/Frogfish: Silversides, freeze dried jumbo krill (soaked in selcon, zoe, or vita chem), and worst-case scenario live fish temporarily such as rosys.

Other: a good bet for smaller fish is live brine, and live black worms.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great read
:)

Few things i have also found helpful

-seachem entice also works very well as well Getting fish to want to eat. Have not found a negative effect on the fish dosing directly to the water. Its pretty much banana flavoring which Have been reluctant to use garlic with the conflicting studies on health.

-Fish or lobster roe is awesome for getting picky fish to eat. Especially if your live bbs culture fails, run to fish market pick up some live roe.

-adding krill to foods increases its palatability. This also applies to krill meal.

-nori sucks up vitamins. Take a shallow dish of tank water place the sheet, add a drop of vitamins(i use aquaforest but any brand and their directions on amount) let sit and blend with your diy food. Adds algae without the worry of spurlina powder clouding your water.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to what you offer them, presentation is important. Planktivores will respond best to a higher flow tank where the current keeps the food moving around. Fish that like to pick such as CBB and angels fare better in a tank with less flow and food that is smashed into or onto rocks and crevices. Leopard wrasse seem to like bits that are just lying on their sand box.

A peaceful environment free of competition from aggressive feeders helps a lot. QT is perfect for this. Dimming the light can help. Dither fish can help show a slow eater what food is and how to eat it, Just make sure your dither fish is truly not intimidating at all to your target fish and that the tank is plenty big for both. Crowding a picky fish wont end well.

Finally, if you know you are getting a picky fish, obtaining a fat, healthy specimen is paramount.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to also add that I do not believe garlic has any benefit at all, and possible negative effects.

lkriley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting two tangs on the tenth delivered. I would appreciate input on what I should have on hand for them. I presently have Mysis Shrimp, and several different types of flakes.

lkriley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting two tangs on the tenth delivered. I would appreciate input on what I should have on hand for them. I presently have Mysis Shrimp, and several different types of flakes.
I also have copepods like crazy

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the difficult non "predators" i.e. angels, butterflies, wrasses, I found frequent feedings to be very helpful. I feed difficult new arrivals hourly for the first week or two. This serves two purposes it gives them ample opportunity to feed, It also gets them to associate peoples presence with food. I tend to use a medley of at least a dozen frozen foods and a half dozen dry foods to get finicky eaters eating, and pay attention to what they pick out from the various offerings. When that fails to entice an appropriately enthusiastic feeding response, I have been using mastic and frozen foods mixed and smeared on to rocks, along with clams on the half shell, and fresh oyster on half shell. Should that still not work live foods it is, brine is easiest, I haven't found a source for black-worms in Colorado.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Observation!
England here, I don't qt fish and I also pick up all my fish from my lfs.
If a fish has stopped hunting and grazing I won't buy it, usually they are in one of my tanks within 48 hours of hitting the shop.
What does it eat in the wild, how does it graze?
By big tank about 550 litre water volume and my little tank, 52 litre run as naturally as I can make it from pods and sponges to micro and macro algae.

I have a baby (1") convict tang in my small tank, got it on Sunday.
It has grazed non stop since it went in, still paper thin but eating and has taken any food I have tried so far.
As above, have a big selection of foods to try but in small additions.
The first food it took at the first try was nori flake!
They want to eat what they want and need and not what a lot of people want them to eat.

DSC_0066 (1024x758).jpg

I just took this of my venustus, ... grazing, apparently they are tricky.
Not a very flattering angle for the fish but it does show how wide it is!
This went straight in at about an inch, due to the design of my big tank it has a display refugium to go and graze in, it now eats anything I put in! :)

... including some lps and softies now so it is in the departure lounge front seat!

DSC_0067 (1024x694).jpg

DSC_0068 (1024x667).jpg

lkriley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily What is your live black worm source in Indiana? I have a 3 month culture of white worms going if you or any other Hoosier need some!
The tangs like them? My tangs are going to be 1.5 -2.5 inches. I would be interested in getting some from you if it makes them happy.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome useful thread

what have you found goes for masstick? i know i've seen some people say copperbands love it

I haven’t used it personally but hear that copperbands love it!

@4FordFamily What is your live black worm source in Indiana? I have a 3 month culture of white worms going if you or any other Hoosier need some!

I have them shipped with the keeper. It isn’t cheap but it’s worth it! I haven’t ordered in 6 months or so I think other companies do it too.

The Reef on keystone in Indianapolis sometimes sells them, and live brine.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread!!
I have had my beautiful 7 1/2 inch Goldflake angel for 3 months. It arrived in late FEB ‘20 eating robustly in Qt. Started glass surfing allot so I moved into display at 2 1/2 weeks. It seemed to be very stressed being around tangs and other angels in 625g FOWLR. The adolescent emperor was particularly bothersome. She stopped eating. AFter 10 days or so of not eating I removed her and put in 55g QT tank. Took about 4 days but she started eating brine first and then mysis and pellets. After fattening her up a bit, placed her back into display. SHe stressed out again and stopped eating. Emperor was a problem so I removed him into a QT tank. The GF still didn’t eat after emperor removal and she started to look frail again. Tonight she finally ate some live brine sparingly. Don’t really know what else to do. No other fish in tank is being aggressive towards her at all and the emperor is not in the display to bother her. Lets hope that the couple of nibbles on brine shrimp will start another recovery and hardler appetite. Any other suggestions w/b appreciated......Thx

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread!!
I have had my beautiful 7 1/2 inch Goldflake angel for 3 months. It arrived in late FEB ‘20 eating robustly in Qt. Started glass surfing allot so I moved into display at 2 1/2 weeks. It seemed to be very stressed being around tangs and other angels in 625g FOWLR. The adolescent emperor was particularly bothersome. She stopped eating. AFter 10 days or so of not eating I removed her and put in 55g QT tank. Took about 4 days but she started eating brine first and then mysis and pellets. After fattening her up a bit, placed her back into display. SHe stressed out again and stopped eating. Emperor was a problem so I removed him into a QT tank. The GF still didn’t eat after emperor removal and she started to look frail again. Tonight she finally ate some live brine sparingly. Don’t really know what else to do. No other fish in tank is being aggressive towards her at all and the emperor is not in the display to bother her. Lets hope that the couple of nibbles on brine shrimp will start another recovery and hardler appetite. Any other suggestions w/b appreciated......Thx

Try some live black worms, a bit more protein; my flagfin love these. Try some other things as well, chopped scallop, etc. Just finding something they really go nuts over will usually get them over the hump and get into a rhythm.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread!!
sounds like it could be flukes to me, appetite loss, glass surfing. I treat all fish coming into my tank now for flukes and internal parasites, its seems to be super prevalent in the supply chain lately.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread topic. I would also add fish roe to the list and reiterate flakes - pe mysis flakes are great to try. For pellets for would highly recommend sustainable aquatics hatchery pellets (brs sells them). They smell so enticing (ie fishy) that I’ve found them to entice sick fish to eat, they even get cryptic inverts like my pom Pom grab to rush out of hiding and grab them and they absorb meds like GC well. @Humblefish recommended them to me

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 57 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back