Trident ALK measurements ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

MAXreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running the Trident for a couple weeks now. Did the calibration when installed.

Only since a couple days I started dosing and noticed my ALK is going up which is good.
I was just curious about the accuracy and started comparing the measurements with the Hanna ALK checker.
I noticed the Hanna always shows around 0.7 dKH higher as the Trident.

Anybody can give some input what the issue could be and how to fix it?
Thanks

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you calibrate the Trident? If that was done properly, it is much more accurate than hanna checkers. The hanna checker is advertised as +-.3 dkh, while the trident is around +-.05 dkh.

The batches of Hanna reagent are not known to be particularly consistent. When I change to a new bottle, the readings can change by easily .4 dkh.

One way to verify that the hanna checker is working properly is to use a calibration standard. For example after you calibrate the Trident next time, use the remaining calibration fluid with your hanna checker (As if the calibration fluid was the tank water to be tested) and see what results the Hanna checker provides. That will show you how high, or low it is reading compared to a precision standard.

Or you can buy their calibration check set, though that will again only verify it is reading within +- .3dkh of the real value.

OP
OP
MAXreefer

MAXreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you calibrate the Trident? If that was done properly, it is much more accurate than hanna checkers. The hanna checker is advertised as +-.3 dkh, while the trident is around +-.05 dkh.

The batches of Hanna reagent are not known to be particularly consistent. When I change to a new bottle, the readings can change by easily .4 dkh.

One way to verify that the hanna checker is working properly is to use a calibration standard. For example after you calibrate the Trident next time, use the remaining calibration fluid with your hanna checker (As if the calibration fluid was the tank water to be tested) and see what results the Hanna checker provides. That will show you how high, or low it is reading compared to a precision standard.

Or you can buy their calibration check set, though that will again only verify it is reading within +- .3dkh of the real value.

Thanks for the info. Will follow your suggestions

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 76 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back