Trident calibration fluid vs Hanna

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calibrated my trident and used the water sample to test the accuracy of the Hanna (assuming the calibration fluid is 100% accurate). I was surprised at the results of the alk.

Hanna alk read 9.1 on 8.42 calibration fluid. Difference of .68

Hanna cal read 424 on 445 calibration fluid. Difference of 21

salifert mag was probably within 10 of calibration fluid.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Nobody is going to lose their tank at any of those numbers. Which one is right? Who knows. Consistency/precision is far more important than extreme accuracy.
Based on your numbers the deviation is pretty low and without looking it up is probably within the accuracy statement of the Hanna checkers.
Alk is within 7.5%
Ca is withing 4.8%

Now hypothetically let's say that the Trident calibration solution is off a bit too. So split the difference and meet in the middle.
Alk 8.76
Ca 435.5
No worries. I wouldn't chase numbers like that.

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Nobody is going to lose their tank at any of those numbers. Which one is right? Who knows. Consistency/precision is far more important than extreme accuracy.
Based on your numbers the deviation is pretty low and without looking it up is probably within the accuracy statement of the Hanna checkers.
Alk is within 7.5%
Ca is withing 4.8%

Now hypothetically let's say that the Trident calibration solution is off a bit too. So split the difference and meet in the middle.
Alk 8.76
Ca 435.5
No worries. I wouldn't chase numbers like that.
Right. Im with you. I’m just trying to find the baseline when I measure manually now. My trident tank water was reading 7.36 after the calibration so I need to get it up at least to 8.0 which i will be at by tomorrow.

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I measure manually with my Hanna's the levels are always higher than Trident, I just average the two or three readings and so long none are within a dangerous level I am ok with it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back