Trident calibration fluid vs Hanna

  • Thread starter Thread starter lubeck
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 20, 2021
Messages
2,427
Reaction score
2,967
Location
U.S.A
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I calibrated my trident and used the water sample to test the accuracy of the Hanna (assuming the calibration fluid is 100% accurate). I was surprised at the results of the alk.

Hanna alk read 9.1 on 8.42 calibration fluid. Difference of .68

Hanna cal read 424 on 445 calibration fluid. Difference of 21

salifert mag was probably within 10 of calibration fluid.
 
Well Nobody is going to lose their tank at any of those numbers. Which one is right? Who knows. Consistency/precision is far more important than extreme accuracy.
Based on your numbers the deviation is pretty low and without looking it up is probably within the accuracy statement of the Hanna checkers.
Alk is within 7.5%
Ca is withing 4.8%

Now hypothetically let's say that the Trident calibration solution is off a bit too. So split the difference and meet in the middle.
Alk 8.76
Ca 435.5
No worries. I wouldn't chase numbers like that.
 
Well Nobody is going to lose their tank at any of those numbers. Which one is right? Who knows. Consistency/precision is far more important than extreme accuracy.
Based on your numbers the deviation is pretty low and without looking it up is probably within the accuracy statement of the Hanna checkers.
Alk is within 7.5%
Ca is withing 4.8%

Now hypothetically let's say that the Trident calibration solution is off a bit too. So split the difference and meet in the middle.
Alk 8.76
Ca 435.5
No worries. I wouldn't chase numbers like that.
Right. Im with you. I’m just trying to find the baseline when I measure manually now. My trident tank water was reading 7.36 after the calibration so I need to get it up at least to 8.0 which i will be at by tomorrow.
 
When I measure manually with my Hanna's the levels are always higher than Trident, I just average the two or three readings and so long none are within a dangerous level I am ok with it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new