Trident calibration fluid

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

mginani

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use the bottle again to calibrate at a later date?

JDnKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure it says it’s good for 8 hours once opened. Not exactly sure where but read it in Neptune Doc’s when calibrating the first time.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 hours is the official length of time it's good for.
That said, if you keep it capped to avoid evaporation, there is no scientific reason why it won't be good for much longer.

Krazie4Acans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 hours is the official length of time it's good for.
That said, if you keep it capped to avoid evaporation, there is no scientific reason why it won't be good for much longer.
Are you saying there is no reason that ICP testers shouldn't be able to give an accurate alk test because the sample is capped and then sent to them?

Just asking because most of them won't test alk for clear scientific reasons due to the time it takes to ship the sample.

I would recommend listening to the manufacturer and what they state about their own product. The choice is definitely yours to do what you want though.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying there is no reason that ICP testers shouldn't be able to give an accurate alk test because the sample is capped and then sent to them?

Just asking because most of them won't test alk for clear scientific reasons due to the time it takes to ship the sample.

I would recommend listening to the manufacturer and what they state about their own product. The choice is definitely yours to do what you want though.

Most ICP-OES companies don't test alk because it isn't an ICP-OES test. It has to be done by other means.
They'd rather not bother.
ATI does do an alk test. I've sent many samples to them. (They also do nitrate, another non-ICP-OES measurement.)
Two weeks later the numbers typically comes back very close to what I got via Hanna at the time I prepared the sample.
For example, a recent ATI alk measurement for one tank, from last month, was Hanna 7.8, ATI 7.6 (2 weeks later.)
Alkalinity of a sample does not change with exposure to air. It can't.
This is well-established scientific fact, mathematically proven.
Randy Holmes-Farley has commented on this more than once.
While we were testing the Trident, I also raised this exact issue with Jim Welsh, who said the same thing.
Barring evaporation, the 8 hour time limit is arbitrary, with no basis in science.
You'd have to ask Neptune why they decided to set this limit.
I generally don't follow capricious arbitrary rules, if they're against my best interests.

Last edited:

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wish they would release other numbers for it. im just now realizing the value. calibrate refractometers, check hanna po4, Ca, Alk.

ppatches24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just like best buy dates a company wants to make money so... Yeah its bAd OnCe U oPeN iT. because you have to buy a new one.

Also neptune is the apple of these controller companies so MONEY! :D (In my eyes my opinion not fact)

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since 1 bottle of calibration fluid is in each 2 month kit and we are supposed to calibrate every time we switch out a bottle of reagent and there are 2 separate alk bottles that will need to be changed out, how do we go about calibrating the alk reagent when switching out the second bottle?

jlmillsjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since 1 bottle of calibration fluid is in each 2 month kit and we are supposed to calibrate every time we switch out a bottle of reagent and there are 2 separate alk bottles that will need to be changed out, how do we go about calibrating the alk reagent when switching out the second bottle?
Would like to know if you got an answer for this. I’m interested. Perhaps the reagent is manufactured at the same time and accurate to the bottles calibration standard used with the 2 month kit?? I dont know.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would like to know if you got an answer for this. I’m interested. Perhaps the reagent is manufactured at the same time and accurate to the bottles calibration standard used with the 2 month kit?? I dont know.

I’m saving the left over reagents for a SHTF scenario.

I think it’s wise to just follow the instruction from Neptune. After switching to new bottles of reagents, calibrate using the solution that came with that specific batch of reagents.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is something that I ran into. It seems my Trident starts drifting after the first month. Not by a huge swing but still not what I would like. My Hanna checkers and Trident are all within their threshold during the first month then start drifting apart from each other. After calibration then the Trident jumps back inline with the Hanna's again.

I called and spoke to Neptune about this a month ago and asked if I should Calibrate every month(I don't mind doing this) and they could not give me a yes or no answer. It was only if i wanted to...... This might not be everyone's case but it is for me. At $6 a bottle, I am going to start to order them monthly to calibrate more often.

I also agree that they should be sealed better. It doesn't take much for the cap to come off and they are not sealed.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 4 months of reagent on the shelf …. will Neptune be closed longer than that …. probably not, but who knows! Plus, not an expert on the chemical industry, but companies that make reagents probably will have more important things to do for a while.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 4 months of reagent on the shelf …. will Neptune be closed longer than that …. probably not, but who knows! Plus, not an expert on the chemical industry, but companies that make reagents probably will have more important things to do for a while.

I was able to snatch a 6 month supply right before the shutdown, so hopefully I have enough to get through this.

I hope Neptune as a company will be okay, I rely heavily on automations.

Worst case, the fail safe - Salifert!

U

User1

View Badges
If you are testing more frequently you can always reduce down to the lowest @ 4/2/2 and probably be ok. Unless you are already bingo reagents or close.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back