Krazie's Driftwood 90

Krazie4Acans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably should have started this thread two years ago when I started this tank but I could just never find the time to post here as well as facebook, local forums as well as update our local club on the build. So it never happened. That is about to change as I want to be able to track the ups and downs of this system in a place that it can be seen and possibly help others.

To start with the tank and stand were won at the Mountain West Reef Fest in Salt Lake City Utah in Oct of 2015. It was the grand prize and I filled the bucket with tickets trying to win it. Well when they called the ticket number it wasn't in my groups and I was bummed. Then I remembered my wife handed me her ticket stubs and and so I started going through them. Well wouldn't you know it! I still don't know how she gets so lucky. Let me get a picture of it and get that posted to start.

OP
OP
Krazie4Acans

Krazie4Acans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like while I was away R2R has changed and doesn't let me directly upload pics anymore. I'll have to get them uploaded to one of my pics sites so I can link them to my post. I'll try and get them uploaded tonight.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Krazie4Acans

Krazie4Acans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rev.

I tried that but get an error. I seam to remember a paperclip icon on the tool bar before that I used to use and wasn't finding that. The error that I am getting just states "There was a problem uploading your file." but I'm sure that it could be on my side as well (lots of stuff blocked from here). I'll try again tonight from home as well as using my photo hosting site so I can use the link as well. I'll get them up here somehow. :)

OP
OP
Krazie4Acans

Krazie4Acans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying the first picture post from my phone with tapatalk
IMAG0023.jpg

OP
OP
Krazie4Acans

Krazie4Acans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't find a premade sump that would fit the way I wanted under the stand. So I ended up building my own. This is picture as I was dry fitting all of the cut pieces together before I actually glued anything. I borrowed ideas from many different sumps that I found while researching. Many of which were from Tyler at Elite Aquatics. I loved his designs. Very simple yet super flexible in what you could do with them.

IMAG0088.jpg

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't find a premade sump that would fit the way I wanted under the stand. So I ended up building my own. This is picture as I was dry fitting all of the cut pieces together before I actually glued anything. I borrowed ideas from many different sumps that I found while researching. Many of which were from Tyler at Elite Aquatics. I loved his designs. Very simple yet super flexible in what you could do with them.

IMAG0088.jpg
Im wanting to build my own sump just curious on how it is going. I havent done any acrylic work. From my reading getting the edges right is super difficult. Did you cut all of it yourself?

OP
OP
Krazie4Acans

Krazie4Acans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im wanting to build my own sump just curious on how it is going. I havent done any acrylic work. From my reading getting the edges right is super difficult. Did you cut all of it yourself?

This wasn't my first acrylic project. I started small with hanger brackets and things like that. I would not take on a sump as my first project. I did cut it all myself and my preferred method of edge prep is scraping. I have tried most of the other methods and that one works best for me. I still get a few air bubbles but I know how to clean those up and take care of them. I have also learned a few tricks that work for the way that I build things. It's fun and challenging for sure.

OP
OP
Krazie4Acans

Krazie4Acans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see the power center and manifold and my carbon and GFO reactors in these picks. The reactors were just sitting in the sump and I'll show where I hung them up in some pictures to come.

The yellow pipe is my full syphon main drain from the overflow. The orange is my emergency drain. The blue is clearly the return to the tank and goes up the back and over the top of the tank.

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This wasn't my first acrylic project. I started small with hanger brackets and things like that. I would not take on a sump as my first project. I did cut it all myself and my preferred method of edge prep is scraping. I have tried most of the other methods and that one works best for me. I still get a few air bubbles but I know how to clean those up and take care of them. I have also learned a few tricks that work for the way that I build things. It's fun and challenging for sure.
I think that is what i will do. I have built my own sump out of glass plastic sheet and silicon. It is what i am running now. I will tinker with small things first lucky i have access to scrap acrylic. I learn best from doing and little hangers for socks would be nic3 practice on edges. Thank you

OP
OP
Krazie4Acans

Krazie4Acans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did many glass and silicon setups and even some glass and acrylic combos (yes I know what everyone says about them) I have ways of making that work as well. This was my first "big" full acrylic project and I'll be doing some more. By the second or third I think I'll have it down.

OP
OP
Krazie4Acans

Krazie4Acans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to add more pictures when I get home tonight. The upload issue seams to be related to things being blocked at some locations. I have a ton more pictures to go so this thread should grow pretty fast. :)

OP
OP
Krazie4Acans

Krazie4Acans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some more pictures of the sump in the stand and the plumbing in different stages.
IMAG0001.jpg

You can see where I mounted the reactors now and I started mounting more of my Apex on the side wall.
IMAG0254.jpg
IMAG0255.jpg
IMAG0256.jpg
IMAG0261.jpg
IMAG0262.jpg

Then I had to get crazy and mounted some LED strip lights in the stand and connected the doors to magnetic switches connected to my Apex break out box so that when the doors open the lights turn on. Of course once you add LEDs you have to make them colored. :)

IMAG0243.jpg
IMAG0245.jpg
IMAG0246.jpg

IMAG0247.jpg

IMAG0248.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back