Trident & Carx integration

MrPorter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I received my Trident, got it installed, and it's a testing away!! Now I'm not too cool at the programing side of things.

I recently picked up a CarX from Bill Wann, one of the automated Carx's, and since it has it's own cool controller the only way I could think of the Apex controlling it is with the Trident. The re-circulation pump on the reactor will continue to run but I want the apex to shut off the carx controller if it reaches past a certain ALK point.

How should I write the program on the outlet tied to the EB832 the controller is plugged into so that it will shut down if the trident reaches a specific alk ceiling?

Advanced control type for the outlet and.....I have zero clue other than I know I don't want the alk to be over 8.6 and if it hits that to shut down the controller of the carx on the electrical out until it comes back down.

I appreciate any input.

vhuang168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You use the input name for the Alk test.

Go to the input page and you will see it listed.

In the programming for the outlet controlling the CaRx, use If Alk4 (Alk4 is my input name) > 8 Then Off

MrPorter80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You use the input name for the Alk test.

Go to the input page and you will see it listed.

In the programming for the outlet controlling the CaRx, use If Alk4 (Alk4 is my input name) > 8 Then Off

Like this?
64ca9e2637022ff62b8ced7bf188be9f.jpg
1f9fe4b4c05401848af1acd648032920.jpg

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a lot of interest in using calcium reactors with the Trident.
Unfortunately I don't run a CaRx and probably won't in the foreseeable future.
But a lot of different approaches were discussed during Trident NSI testing.
One that got some attention was setting the CaRx to run continuously at slightly less than demand, and then fine tune with a DOS or other doser.
There are other ways and I've already seen a few detailed posts here of how people are doing it.

Are you liking your new reactor? I haven't looked at that one.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would very much like to hear your impressions of the AQEng CaRx. Having Bill build me a heat exchanger and may consider the reactor down the road (though for now I’m building my own).

MrPorter80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a lot of interest in using calcium reactors with the Trident.
Unfortunately I don't run a CaRx and probably won't in the foreseeable future.
But a lot of different approaches were discussed during Trident NSI testing.
One that got some attention was setting the CaRx to run continuously at slightly less than demand, and then fine tune with a DOS or other doser.
There are other ways and I've already seen a few detailed posts here of how people are doing it.

Are you liking your new reactor? I haven't looked at that one.

So far I like it a lot. This is my first reactor and I probably spent too many months looking at the conventional ph probe types before I got ballsy and decided to take a chance on this one. Bills is way different than that. It takes less equipment in terms of needing a controller to control ph and a regulator w/solenoid. You can get a bar tap regulator for cheap and a co2 tank and you’ll be off and running.
You basically set it at 5psi output from the co2 tank.

Dialing it in is wasn’t too bad as I started on the low end of an estimate by letting the reactor run and dump effluent into a bucket for 24hrs to let the saturation levels peak. Once that was accomplished I took a sample of the effluent and cut it with Rodi water to get an all level averaging in the 60s. Then back ran that number with the amount of soda ash I’m using a day to determine my tanks consumption.

Once that was accomplished the reactor has to settings.

1-How long the effluent valves stays closed (0-999 seconds, this is you small adjustments).

2-how long the effluent will dump (0-not sure how high yet seconds-never tried to make it go to the top).

So with that in mind I took the above numbers calculated off consumption and the amount of effluent needed to match it and ran an excel chart (attached) to determine any point I could match for open and closed that would supply my needed consumption. There’s a FB group Bill made for those that purchased it and some set it too high and had an alk spike so it scared the crap out of me as my little acro children wouldn’t appreciate that. So I ran the initial startup at 65% of what was calculated as I’d rather start low and lose alk and dose it back up than hit high and have to shut the reactor down to bring it back down.

All in all it’s pretty plug n play if you understand the numerics and what your trying to attain with it.
1a64bbb2a01319f520f77b3cd8f38d26.jpg

MrPorter80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would very much like to hear your impressions of the AQEng CaRx. Having Bill build me a heat exchanger and may consider the reactor down the road (though for now I’m building my own).

See last reply. But I dig it so far. It works as advertised and it’s built like a tank!! I got the 6” model and it weights 17lbs empty. Took 16lbs of reborn/remag to fill it up.

MrPorter80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I like it a lot. This is my first reactor and I probably spent too many months looking at the conventional ph probe types before I got ballsy and decided to take a chance on this one. Bills is way different than that. It takes less equipment in terms of needing a controller to control ph and a regulator w/solenoid. You can get a bar tap regulator for cheap and a co2 tank and you’ll be off and running.
You basically set it at 5psi output from the co2 tank.

Dialing it in is wasn’t too bad as I started on the low end of an estimate by letting the reactor run and dump effluent into a bucket for 24hrs to let the saturation levels peak. Once that was accomplished I took a sample of the effluent and cut it with Rodi water to get an all level averaging in the 60s. Then back ran that number with the amount of soda ash I’m using a day to determine my tanks consumption.

Once that was accomplished the reactor has to settings.

1-How long the effluent valves stays closed (0-999 seconds, this is you small adjustments).

2-how long the effluent will dump (0-not sure how high yet seconds-never tried to make it go to the top).

So with that in mind I took the above numbers calculated off consumption and the amount of effluent needed to match it and ran an excel chart (attached) to determine any point I could match for open and closed that would supply my needed consumption. There’s a FB group Bill made for those that purchased it and some set it too high and had an alk spike so it scared the crap out of me as my little acro children wouldn’t appreciate that. So I ran the initial startup at 65% of what was calculated as I’d rather start low and lose alk and dose it back up than hit high and have to shut the reactor down to bring it back down.

All in all it’s pretty plug n play if you understand the numerics and what your trying to attain with it.
1a64bbb2a01319f520f77b3cd8f38d26.jpg

That’s supposed to be Alk level of 60dkh for the effluent.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back