Trident reagent fluid vs ABC

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
When I learned about this alternative I had just purchased a 6 month supply (which is really 3 I have 2 tridents). And since I am testing way more frequently as I chase a high PH, I find myself needing more reagent fluid already. I went and looked at ABC but they are $80 for 6 months vs $93 for Trident branded. That’s not a big enough delta for me to stray away from an OEM. I thought the delta was going to be meaningful. The way these were talked up, I would have guessed they were half the cost of the OEM. Maybe I am missing something.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Six month trident reagent is usually $110 when not on sale. I just bought some before all these sales….so a $30 difference is more substantial. I have not used the ABC but may consider them next time.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I go the website it shows the 3 month supply as $59.

Unless it is the shipping cost that took your price to $80. Even with shipping for me the 6 month supply is $69. Compared with the normal price of trident reagents even with shipping cost for ABC it’s almost 40% cheaper.

Reef_Freak720

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not recommend supporting ABC. They did not demonstrate integrity when on Reef2Reef.
I haven't been active enough around here...

Can you expound? Or give me something I should search in the forums to educate myself

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The offending threads were removed, and for various reasons, that's all I can say. Perhaps JIm Welsh would be willing to say more.

He is obviously potentially biased, being involved with the OEM, but is not involved in Reef2Reef moderation decisions and is free to comment as he wants. (fyi, that does not mean I have been asked by Reef2Reef to not comment, I'm trying to walk the line of good judgement).

@JimWelsh

Reef_Freak720

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The offending threads were removed, and for various reasons, that's all I can say. Perhaps JIm Welsh would be willing to say more.

He is obviously potentially biased, being involved with the OEM, but is not involved in Reef2Reef moderation decisions and is free to comment as he wants. (fyi, that does not mean I have been asked by Reef2Reef to not comment, I'm trying to walk the line of good judgement).

@JimWelsh
Understood.
I was just curious because I recently picked up a used trident. It came with ABC and was considering snagging some more for the future

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mission statement for the knock off brand is all a conscientious aquarist needs to read to understand the gist of the knock off reagent. At the end of the day the hobbyist will chose, threads will get raised, people will reply, and it comes down to personal preference.

Me personally I prefer Neptune reagents. I know what I'm getting. They have lot numbers. Their calibration solution is top notch. And I get support. Then there is the whole I've been a Neptune customer since the early 2000s. I factor in the Neptune Reagent cost to my yearly tank budget so it is a moot point.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back