Tried introducing a few new fish, it didn't go so well...

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up two new fish from the LFS on saturday... A small Coral Beauty and a small Royal Gramma.
Both appeared healthy and happy at the LFS, other than the RG was a bit timid and hung out at the back of the tank at the LFS.. but that was expected.
The RG in particular was very nice looking and I was excited to add it. Both fish came from the same tank system at the LFS and neither was being medicated or in copper. I asked.
I drove the fish the 20 mins home and started floating them for temp. Checked salinity in both bags while floating. it was 28ppt. Would need to drip acclimate them for a few hours.

After they reached temp, I dumped both fish and LFS water into a 5 gal bucket with an air stone and started a slow drip line directly from my DT. (35ppt)
Drip acclimated them for 2.5 hours. Both fish appeared completely fine and unstressed during the process.

Even though both fish appeared completely healthy after close inspection at the LFS, I decided to use Safety Stop with them anyway.
So I prepared two more buckets, each with a gallon of water from my DT.
Put both fish through the Safety Stop 2 steps for 45 minutes each, again both fish appeared completely fine. Both of these buckets were using 100% water from my DT, which was 35ppt.

So at this point, the fish went from 28 ppt water at the LFS, into 2.5 hours in a bucket with rising salinity, and then another 1.5 hours in full salinity DT water, and both fish appeared completely fine the entire time. All was looking good. All that needed to be done was to transfer them to the DT.

I netted both fish out of the Safety Stop blue bucket and dumped them into the DT.

The CB swam off happy and unfazed. Unfortunately, no such luck with the RG. As soon as it hit the water, really bad things happened. It flipped out. Started twitching like crazy and darting into anything and everything... the glass, the rocks, the wavemaker... over and over. My daughter got upset when it started swimming upside down and twitching... both my kids thought they were watching it die. it eventually wedged itself into a wavemaker in what I assume was an attempt at suicide, but I was able to kill power before any real damage was done. I pulled it out of the wavemaker by its tail and it fell down to the bottom of the tank and sat facing a corner... it would slowly fall over onto its side and then right itself.... over and over. after a few minutes, something scared it and it darted underneath the heater and wedged itself between the titanium heater and the glass. Great, now it was trying to cook itself.

My daughter is crying and my son thinks it's certainly dead and asked he how long I'm going to leave it in.... Oh boy.... this did not go well.

Checked on it a bit later and it was gone. Spotted it wedged half into a small hole in the cave that the CB was now claiming... The RG was face first into a hole with the back half of its body sticking out into the cave. the CB didn't seem happy that the RG was there, but with its face wedged into the hole, the RG didn't really seem to care either. It just sat there motionless.
Breathing, but motionless. Shortly after that, it was lights out and I went to bed. That was saturday night.

Today is tuesday. The Coral Beauty is doing wonderful and pretty much runs the whole tank now. Great fish. Hasn't nipped any corals yet, but we are keeping it well fed.

As for the RG, we haven't seen it since saturday night. it has not made a single appearance and we've been constantly checking for it since we added it. it is not in any hiding spot that we can see. We can't find it anywhere.. I don't know what happened to it. It doesn't come out at feeding times, or at all. The snails don't seem to be drawn to a rotting carcass anywhere yet.... and I haven't seen any rise in ammonia at all yet.... so I'm still hopeful that it is still alive somewhere.... but how long can a 2 inch long RG last, while being wedged into/under rockwork, and not eating or free swimming?
Or perhaps it is dead and it just hasn't been enough time yet for the ammonia to spike. I'm worried it wedged itself into a hole and then died..... and now Its going to crash my tank.

Unfortunately, I glued a bunch of my rockwork together, so I can't really take it apart to find this possibly dead, possibly not dead fish.
Every day longer this goes on... I now dread coming home from work each day, only to find a cloudy crashed tank... ugh.

I'm not sure what I could have done differently... other than maybe use an acclimation box or maybe turn off the lights completely next time...

I'm really not sure what happened to be honest, but all I know is that introducing that Royal Gramma went worse than any other fish introduction I've done. hands down.
it was going just fine, right up until it wasn't... no signs of trouble, until the fish literally just flipped out the second it hit the DT water....

the only thing I can think of was maybe temp.... I did not use any heaters in any of the buckets. but I've put fish through this process before without issue.
And the 2 buckets I used for the SS dips would have only been out of the heated tank for 2 hours at most. So I don't really see that as being the issue.

Anybody else have any similar issues with adding Royal Grammas ?

Ruskin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal Gramma's can be silly little fish sometimes. The day after I added mine to quarantine I checked on him and he looked dead too. Odd position, no movement, but i watched him closely and could see breathing. I left him alone and the next day he was fine. After doing a freshwater dip for flukes, he also acted like life was over by resting on the pump and not moving for a day or so.

As of a few days ago he finished QT and is now in my display. He has barely come out and is also hidden in the rocks. I can see him pop out once and a while but not free swimming like when he was in the QT.

Keep an eye out for yours but dont go crazy breaking the tank apart to find him. He may very well need lots of time to settle in. Perhaps dim your lighting for a few days and see if that helps?

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your DT? Even if its dead it shouldn't crash your tank. I had fish disappeared on my multiple times in my 13 years of reefing. I guess cleaning crew took care them or they got caught by anemones.

I would invest in 20g tank and set up quarantine system. I never put fish that I recently purchased in my DT anymore. First they go to QT and I feed them till they eat like little piggies and then I introduce them to DT. Also the benefit of this is that the fish are fat so even if they hide for few days they will be fine.

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, this seems like just "one of those things". There are so many variables at play. Who knows. Some fish react poorly to transition. Unfortunately, as you stock your tank, this kind of thing will happen from time to time.

And I doubt this will crash your tank if you don't recover the fish.

OP
OP
L

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a update! Good News.

The RG is still alive! but has not come out of hiding yet.
I was finally able to get a glimpse of it this morning in the dark using a red light.

In the last couple days, I had noticed two new holes appear between rocks and the substrate in the tank..... two holes that just appeared out of nowhere and were too small to have been made by my other fish. So I have been keeping an eye on those holes seeing if I could spot anything using them. Finally, early this morning in the dark, using a red head lamp, I was able to catch a glimpse of the RG poking its head out of one of the holes. It quickly retreated back further into the hole.

I have a camera on my tank 24/7 and have yet to see the RG appear out of the hole yet. I will try to direct some food to the opening and see if I can entice it out. If not, I guess it will come out when ready.

Just happy its still alive.

OP
OP
L

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a long time for fish to sit in their own poop (high ammonia). Have you considered using another method?https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/beginners-guide-to-acclimation-and-quarantine.304980/

Not sure what you mean.... the 4 hours it spent in acclimation and the Safety Stop was spread out in three different buckets of water... the fish wasn't sitting in high ammonia at any time. Regardless, fish appears just fine now. Very very timid, but fine. It came out at feeding time last night to snatch a couple bites of food and then went right back into its cave. It appears intimidated by the coral beauty that also inhabits the same rock structure. It was a rough start, but all is well now.

thanks!

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point here is like we said before to set up a quarantine tank. You would avoid all those headaches you have now. And it’s only a matter of time when you introduce an ick or other deasise in your tank. Your bucket method is not enough. Fish need to be quarantined for at least 3-4 weeks before being introduced to DT.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point here is like we said before to set up a quarantine tank. You would avoid all those headaches you have now. And it’s only a matter of time when you introduce an ick or other deasise in your tank. Your bucket method is not enough. Fish need to be quarantined for at least 3-4 weeks before being introduced to DT.

Absolutely. One big loss and you will never skip QT again. I know its exciting to add new fish, but being successful in this hobby takes patience. Glad to hear the RG is doing ok.

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The darting around and flipping out sounds unusual, but the hiding in the rock work and disappearing is par for the course for a royal gramma. Part of their appeal to me is their unusual and individualistic behavior. My royal gramma is out most of the time, but ocassionally takes a snooze in a hole in the rock. But once, about a year or two ago, he completely disappeared for two whole months. I looked for him as best as I could once I noticed him missing, but gave up and stopped looking and forgot all about him.

Sure enough two months later he was swimming around as if nothing had happened - and he refused to give a word of explanation.

Best of luck with yours.

OP
OP
L

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

??? What headaches do I have now?
I added a fish that flipped out and hid for a few days..... the fish is fine.

OP
OP
L

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. One big loss and you will never skip QT again. I know its exciting to add new fish, but being successful in this hobby takes patience. Glad to hear the RG is doing ok.

A big loss only comes if you have a lot invested.
I only buy cheap fish. and its just a small tank.

current tank inhabitants;
pair of clowns
algae blenny
coral beauty
royal gramma

All common LFS fish found for under $25.

i only plan to add 1 more fish and then that will be it. And that fish will also be under $25.... unless I splurge on this last one and pay up to $30.

I understand what you guys are saying but for me, a proper QT setup would cost more than all my current livestock combined. Just not worth it.

if I ever upgrade to a bigger tank some day, this tank will be used as the QT setup. haha

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
??? What headaches do I have now?
I added a fish that flipped out and hid for a few days..... the fish is fine.

" My daughter is crying and my son thinks it's certainly dead and asked he how long I'm going to leave it in.... Oh boy.... this did not go well."

Clearly none! you asked for our opinion and we were happy to help.

Do as you wish. Good luck.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back