Trigger stimulation, how do you prevent boredom?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've considered getting an urchin just for that purpose, but if he doesnt eat it then I'm stuck with an urchin lol.

This is a great idea! I might be able to stuff some muscle into a wiffle golf ball
urchins can be pretty costly, and also wont keep the trigger occupied for long

OP
OP
David M.

David M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up picking up a pincushion urchin, my bluethroat couldn't care less about it lol.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a blue throat I'd recommend getting a female if you can find one. They seem to do better in pairs or groups from everything I have read. My experience was that a single male did fine for a couple years and then just died randomly. I've read about this same type of experience from others as well.

Currently I have a humu and an assassi sharing a tank and they seem to keep each other occupied pretty well. They do have an occasional skirmish but that's about it. They go nuts for literally any type of food.

Urchins would be a fun feeding activity but it would get very costly. Cheapest and most fun solution is likely MORE TRIGGERS! :0) Just be careful with your choices.

Natadactyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great ideas guys,

I get worried my lobster gets bored in his tank and I move around his plant so he can constantly landscape at night but was looking for other ways to keep him occupied! Might try a few of these! Thank you!!!

OP
OP
David M.

David M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a blue throat I'd recommend getting a female if you can find one. They seem to do better in pairs or groups from everything I have read. My experience was that a single male did fine for a couple years and then just died randomly. I've read about this same type of experience from others as well.

Currently I have a humu and an assassi sharing a tank and they seem to keep each other occupied pretty well. They do have an occasional skirmish but that's about it. They go nuts for literally any type of food.

Urchins would be a fun feeding activity but it would get very costly. Cheapest and most fun solution is likely MORE TRIGGERS! :0) Just be careful with your choices.
I've got my LFS on the hunt for a female for me, hoping to get one some time soon as I have a 150g 4'x3' being built right now too. The extra room, new rocks, and a new friend will surely help quite a bit.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's baby season, my lfs's have tons of baby bluethroats, nigers, and humas. Around 40 in a tank it was fun to feed them all, talk about a feeding frenzy.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back