Triggered a spawning event!

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to inadvertently trigger a spawning event of the clove polyps, in my 25G reef. This is the second time ever I've had them spawn, I only wish I could get something else than cloves to spawn! :p

sarcoTheliaEggs-2024-01-10.jpg

I think I have a pretty good idea of their spawning trigger now though. I generally run this tank without a heater, as I have a radiator in the room set to 25C, but we recently had an unusual cold snap, so the temperature dropped to only 20C in the tank. And as such I threw in a heater to bump it back up to 24-25C, and boom! A few days later i've got eggs!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alexraptor

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool.
Survival response spawn.
What type of cloves are those?

I honestly don't know.

They arrived as hitchhikers on a piece of live rock about 8-9 years ago. They've overrun the tank, but have the virtue of not disturbing any other corals, so encrusting corals grow over them with relative ease.

Tub Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don't know.

They arrived as hitchhikers on a piece of live rock about 8-9 years ago. They've overrun the tank, but have the virtue of not disturbing any other corals, so encrusting corals grow over them with relative ease.
Gotcha. I think I know what you are referring to. They have little to no stalk and just spread in a mat.

Yah I know what you mean about them overrunning a tank. I kinda didn't mind either, cuz I liked the fact that there was no bare rock.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had this happen once and thought it was a spawn as well but reef2reef was not sure so I removed the coral incase it was a pest haha! Anyway, from my research sounds like they are probably eggs (napula?) pretty cool!

shandoee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like blue sympodium. Stuff of nightmares - just as you stated, they’ll overrun your tank. Very, very few say they don’t mind it. But congrats on the spawn! It’s so cool to see corals spawning in a *somewhat* controlled environment!

Edit*

OP
OP
Alexraptor

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like blue sympodium. Stuff of nightmares - just as you stated, they’ll overrun your tank. Very, very few say they don’t mind it. But congrats on the spawn! It’s so cool to see corals spawning in a *somewhat* controlled environment!

Edit*
I'm more convinced that they are actually Sarcothelia sp. :)

Has a bad rep too, but haven't had any problems with them smothering other corals.

OP
OP
Alexraptor

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do they do with softies?
Couldn't speak for softies overall. I imagine some might have trouble competing for real estate. SPS and LPS corals just encrust straight over them.

I've not seen any problems with Rhodactis shrooms or protopalythoas though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back