SPS Junky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no problem

Hi Triggreef,

spsjunky here. Hope you don't mind my contacting you. I'm following up with you to inquire about the "supermale" status of M. bipartitus. When you have a minute might you let me know what exactly constitutes the "supermale?" please. Many thanks. I appreciate your time.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Triggreef,

spsjunky here. Hope you don't mind my contacting you. I'm following up with you to inquire about the "supermale" status of M. bipartitus. When you have a minute might you let me know what exactly constitutes the "supermale?" please. Many thanks. I appreciate your time.

The stages I know of are juvi - female - sub male - supermale. So sub male is like an interim period when they are changing. They begin to show the male colors but the organs take longer to change. In the sub male, they can still revert back to female status. Once they have completed transition to supermale, they can no longer revert back to female no matter what. I'm not too great on knowing exactly when they change from sub to super but I believe the layout of stripes has a lot to do with it for most of the leopards at least.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wasn't looking bad that last share. Been neglecting quite a bit this summer. Unfortunately I started using Phosguard and I didn't realized quite how much aluminum and barium that phosguard actually leaches. Ruined my tank and took about 4 months too long to figure it out. It's on the rebound now but damage was done and it looks too sad to even clean the glass lately. So I pretty much haven't been. Very dissapointed in that product but goes to show you, k.i.s.s. method should be lived by. Don't change it if its not broken. :(

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you very much for sharing the lesson learned.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your tank looking now , trigg?

Wow around that time it was still making a comeback. Now into February its come around and everything is growing. Still some zoas not quite back to normal but much improved. Crazy how fast you can mess everything up and how LOOOOOOOOOONNNNNGGG it takes to repair.

Acros are looking quite happy again and growing, zoas will come along. Added a plumbed in 29g nem tank in my garage, and got my nems out of my display. No decent pics yet but I'll get some soon. Enough space in that for a couple of spare frag racks too. (Much needed space)

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Since Feb quite a bit has changed. I turned my 40g cube frag tank thats plumbed into this, into a full out Nem tank with some Mocha Storm clowns (courtesy of Donny at Wet Pets). In changing that I changed the previous 29g nem tank to a frag and shroom tank. And setup a 180g stand alone frag system in my garage. I completely scrapped my triton dosing system and set up a sick Ca reactor/masterflex with some help from a friend. Completely revamped my lighting everywhere too and it's all kessil everywhere now.

Definitely need to get some fresh pics. :)

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed u have you gyres at 45° ...

What's the flow pattern like with them like that, interesting concept.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want parameters, and phosphates.

:p
Hey sorry I missed your questions.... Generally I keep parameters in line with Red Sea Regular salt. So:
Alk ~8 to 8.4
Ca ~400
mg ~ 1280
no3 - I don't test much but usually under 5ppm
po4 - ranges between .3 all the way to around 1.0 ppm. Most consider that very high. I definitely notice faster growth when its down to around .3 range but other than that no difference. It is a struggle because I have so many fish and feed a lot.
I test nothing else.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed u have you gyres at 45° ...

What's the flow pattern like with them like that, interesting concept.
I also have one straight up and down on the back wall. The ones on the side I kind of have to keep that way otherwise I blast the acros more than they can handle or blast the zoas more than they can handle. Kind of need most flow up top for the acro and its a struggle to keep it where it needs to be for the zoas on the bottom/front area. But I love the gyres I'll never go back to anything else. They don't seen to last as long as regular jebao ph's though.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That zoa shot is a thing of beauty.

I have my returns facing down the back of the tank.

U run the 3rd on it's own? The controllers only have 2 ports right?

U run a custom flow pattern or pre-programmed?

Tank is stunning sir
The returns facing down is not a bad idea, I'm not sure I could do it though due to the layout.

I run all the gyres on their own, I think W2 mode and about medium or high flow. Not really sure I'd have to look but they definitely pulse. One is ready to be replaced as one side of it has been not working.

Thanks Rich!

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The returns facing down is not a bad idea, I'm not sure I could do it though due to the layout.

I run all the gyres on their own, I think W2 mode and about medium or high flow. Not really sure I'd have to look but they definitely pulse. One is ready to be replaced as one side of it has been not working.

Thanks Rich!
I gave mine a 48hr 3:1 vinegar soak and when they went back in, I went from 60% peak when they were last in the DT, to 30% peak. They were like brand new. Took the corraline right off.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave mine a 48hr 3:1 vinegar soak and when they went back in, I went from 60% peak when they were last in the DT, to 30% peak. They were like brand new. Took the corraline right off.
Good to know, I saved one that stopped working in the same way, only half worked. When I took that apart I found a plastic end piece got kind of worn or stripped. So I'm hoping I can use the 2 now and make one fully functioning one again. They'll both need a vinegar bath for sure.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back