Triton Core7 Alk Concentration (vs. BRS Soda Ash)

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@nbd13 this might be useful for you as well...

okay, so as we dose much more triton alk vs. triton Ca and Mg, we're now at the bottom of our triton alk jug, with triton containers 1 (Mg) and 2 (Ca) half full.

since we supplement our triton alk with BRS soda ash anyways, we will move to 100% BRS, until we use up all the triton jugs 1 and 2.

so we did a test to find out the concentration of triton alk (we mix parts 3 and 4 together).

the conculsion is that triton alk is approxiately twice as strong as BRS soda ash liquid (when mixed per BRS instructions).

so it's easy peasy now, just use the BRS online calculator to figure out what you need, and multiply or divide by 2, depending which way you're moving.

if you'd like to see how we did it, see the scratch pad pic below.

20190424_140748.jpg

p.s. my brother did this test twice, with the same results

Last edited:

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s exactly the reason I stopped the BRS two part. The price is great and the product is great but I was using almost three times more compared to other products like Red Sea, Seachem, or Triton. At some point I noticed I really wasn’t saving any money.

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm mainly posting as a way to subscribe instead of clicking the button at the top. I am curious about this though, because I am currently going through a LOT of BRS Alk 2-part compared to what I used to a few months ago. It's entirely possible that I simply haven't found where my precipitation is going yet.
The Diesyst reef calculator says moving 500 gallons of water 1 dKH requires:
56.33 g of Red Sea Foundation B - $22.99/kg@BRS = $1.30 for the dose.
57.1 g of SeaChem Reef Builder - $64.56/4 kg@Marine Depot = $0.92 for the dose.
35.8 g of anhydrous Sodium carbonate (soda ash) @22.99/7 lbf@BRS = $0.26 for the dose.
The BRS calculator matches for their sealed soda ash.

I do have issues getting the soda ash to dissolve all the way, but I assume you are mixing until there is no sediment.
If you're buying the soda ash in the 1 gallon mix containers I think it costs roughly double, but that's still well cheaper than Red Sea or Seachem.

I am assuming you are buying powder and mixing vs. buying liquid, I have not looked in to the prices for liquids.
I think it's unlikely that the calculators are incorrect, and the mix does dissolve. I guess it's possible that the BRS mix isn't as clean as claimed. I'll have to run a test in a couple weeks when I get home.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the strong work guys. Now I need @Randy Holmes-Farley to double check your math. :p

LOL

I emailed ESV and talked to Mr. Bob Stark. Dang good people BTW! ESV is about 48% more potent than BRS 2-Part. I did confirm that the alkalinity component is 2800 meq/Liter (7840 dKH).

Also confirmed that the the calcium component is 62,752 mg/L and the magnesium in the two part is in the calcium component, and it's concentration is proprietary. To me it isn’t a big deal, because when you test the numbers will let you know the concentration. The Alk and Cal were the components I was after!

They also sell a separate B-Ionic Magnesium supplement only to be used as needed. The concentration of that product is 36,000 ppm magnesium. So I’ll assume that the magnesium in the Calcium component will test very close to NSW.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somebody get on that! I’ve already done my part. Link it up to these threads so that we have it in the future.

OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just fyi, last month, when we went from triton alk + BRS soda ash supplement... to soley BRS alk, some of our acros were ticked, i'd say a 5 to 8% mortality rate.

now we're back to both again.

good luck,

michelle ;Cat

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still haven’t heard a legit answer as to how Potent Triton Core7 is. I would love to know the ALK, CAL, & MAG concentrations in Core7.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back