Triton method and detritus

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

Built my tank according to the triton method spec. Down pipes straight in to my algae bed, no mechanical filtration.

Surprisingly I now have an issue with detritus in my tank. The water column is constantly full of a fine particulate.

I’m using a little filter floss but the triton method recommends against it.

Any advice?

image.jpg image.jpg

mcdrichj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started this on my nano and removed my filter sock a few weeks ago but I havent had any issues with particulate. It pretty much collects at the bottom of the fuge. I will follow along just in case. I'm surprised that the chaeto does not catch more of it.

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I get your point and I may do that, simple thing is that triton advise against mechanical filtration.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I get your point and I may do that, simple thing is that triton advise against mechanical filtration.

Don't worry so much about slavish devotion to the Triton Method.

If you distill the "method" down to its essentials, they are:

1) Use more biological filtration - that's what the refugium is for. Detritus is great fertilizer for chaeto and other macroalgae. So generally, you don't want to remove it on a persistent basis.

2) Dose to replace elements that can't be replaced from food.

3) Test for Alkalinity to keep most levels in check, use their ICP testing to make sure all your levels stay in check.

So, where does mechanical filtration come in? That relates to principle #1, biological filtration. You don't want to remove detritus for the most part, because detritus = food for your refugium. BUT... having a filter sock on for one day isn't going to mess with that. The dissolved elements in your water, plus the detritus suspended in your chaeto ball, should provide plenty of food to last for a day with filter socks.

Put the socks on, clear out your water, and then take them out.

Long-term, you might want to look at the flow rate through your sump. It's possible that the water is moving through your refugium too fast, and that's where you're getting the suspended particles. Alternately, try a round of old-fashioned water tests, make sure that there isn't anything in your water that shouldn't be there, like excessive nutrients or free ammonia. I doubt it, but better safe than sorry with cloudy water. Also check the temperature in your tank.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn down your return flow. And/or get flow in fuge section to slow down so debris has a chance and a place (fuge) to settle out and get consumed

DancingWind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
humm .. that seems like your run of the mill bacteria bloom. That is why mechanical filtration is not helping.
I would say it will go away on it's own but ... in my case (I also run triton method) once it got to a state where it got so cloudy I could not see the any rocks I got a UV unit :D problem solved :D

DancingWind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side note: I don't think it's a good idea to keep your probes with all the 'life' in the refugium. They will get chewed on, pooped over and overgrow.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back