Triton Method

PGriff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I"m new here and to reefing. I'm starting my first 40 Gal. breeder AIO and have been doing tons of research. I have a few questions that maybe you all can help with.

1. Is there a rule of thumb for a refugium to display tank sizes? For instance, X gals of refugium tank per gal. of display tank?

I'm not saying that I am going to do the Triton Method, but it got me thinking that there might be a correlation between the two.

This may seem like a dumb question, but there are hundreds of videos out there on refugium's and I noticed on think and it made me think.

2. Should Cheato be free-flowing in a refugium?

I've seen some videos and it seems to be rolling in the tank in one and in others it seems to be overgrown and stagnant. Another reason for this question is, I've noticed HOB refugium's where they were so narrow the Cheato doesn't seem to have room to move at all? I'm sure it will most likely come down to preference but I thought you all may have some first-hand knowledge on whether or not it changes Nitrate and Phosphate levels.

Thanks for the help.

Salps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. The rule for refugiums is the bigger the better. The larger water volume helps minimize fluctuations and gives you more room to have things grow in.

2. Cheato does not have to tumble. It just is better if it tumbles since light can hit all sides. Basically tumbling it increases the surface area of the Cheato that receives light.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton says at least 10% of the system volume should be dedicated to the fuge. The more the better.

I use a fuge in my AIO but a sump would be much better.

OP
OP
PGriff

PGriff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton says at least 10% of the system volume should be dedicated to the fuge. The more the better.

I use a fuge in my AIO but a sump would be much better.

I'm starting a 40 AIO with a HOB marina refugium on the back to start. I think, after doing some research into the Triton method, I will upgrade the fuge to a 10 gal. sump soon after.

OP
OP
PGriff

PGriff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. The rule for refugiums is the bigger the better. The larger water volume helps minimize fluctuations and gives you more room to have things grow in.

2. Cheato does not have to tumble. It just is better if it tumbles since light can hit all sides. Basically tumbling it increases the surface area of the Cheato that receives light.

That's what I thought. While I'm starting a new 40 breeder I'll probably just upgrade to a 10 gal. sump refugium to start. Thanks for the input.

NewbReefer3451

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - I to am swithcing over to Triton method. I know that changed the contents of 3a and 3b to powder form. I'm trying to figure out which container contains which elements. Is it still this as displayed on triton's website I'm seeing mixed answers throughout different forms and nothing very recent as of 2019? Thanks!

Bottle Contents Number 1 = Magnesium + Traces
Number 2 = Calcium + Traces
Number 3A = Alkalinity + Traces
Number 3B = Alkalinity + Traces

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back