Triton questions

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my test results back. I can post them later. In the meantime, I have questions.

First, some of my trace elements are high, some low, and some ok. If I add the trace elements recommended won’t that raise the elements that are already too high, even higher?

Second, they recommend a series of water changes. I assume this should be done before adding any chemicals.

Also, is triton salt and/or additives better than any others? Please tell me what you use.

And finally, my sump has no place for a refugiun. Alternatives or ways to add one I haven’t thought off? I thought about adding an algae scrubber or some sort of container to the sump. Think inTank refugium box.

Please share info and ideas! Thanks!!

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using Triton's additives, which only contain a single element per solution, then no, the other trace elements would not increase. The only things that would increase are the specific elements you dose.

If you're following Triton's system, their two-part is recommended because it's supposed to contain all the trace elements your tank needs. You don't have to use them, but you might need to supplement trace elements more often if you don't.

I'm not sure with regards to adding chemicals and water changes. Why did they recommend doing water changes?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my test results back. I can post them later. In the meantime, I have questions.

First, some of my trace elements are high, some low, and some ok. If I add the trace elements recommended won’t that raise the elements that are already too high, even higher?

Second, they recommend a series of water changes. I assume this should be done before adding any chemicals.

Also, is triton salt and/or additives better than any others? Please tell me what you use.

And finally, my sump has no place for a refugiun. Alternatives or ways to add one I haven’t thought off? I thought about adding an algae scrubber or some sort of container to the sump. Think inTank refugium box.

Please share info and ideas! Thanks!!

It will be more useful to answer with specific examples of your data, and how high or low they are.

There's little to no evidence that they need to be a specific level.

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using Triton's additives, which only contain a single element per solution, then no, the other trace elements would not increase. The only things that would increase are the specific elements you dose.

If you're following Triton's system, their two-part is recommended because it's supposed to contain all the trace elements your tank needs. You don't have to use them, but you might need to supplement trace elements more often if you don't.

I'm not sure with regards to adding chemicals and water changes. Why did they recommend doing water changes?
Heavy metals...

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be more useful to answer with specific examples of your data, and how high or low they are.

There's little to no evidence that they need to be a specific level.

Attachments

• triton results 9-28 (1).pdf
    119.2 KB · Views: 71
OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unwanted heavy metals (60 Gallons)
Element Analysis Setpoint Deviation Warning lamp

Hg 0 µg/l 0,1 µg/l -0.10

Se 0 µg/l 0,1 µg/l -0.10

Cd 0 µg/l 0,1 µg/l -0.10

Sn 12 µg/l 0,1 µg/l 11.90

Sb 0 µg/l 0,1 µg/l -0.10

As 0 µg/l 0,1 µg/l -0.10

Al 25 µg/l 2 µg/l 23.00

Pb 2.439 µg/l 0,1 µg/l 2.34

Ti 0 µg/l 0,1 µg/l -0.10

Cu 0 µg/l 0.1 µg/l -0.10

La 0 µg/l 0.1 µg/l -0.10

Sc 0 µg/l 0.1 µg/l -0.10

W 0 µg/l 0.1 µg/l -0.10

Macro-Elements (60 Gallons)
Na 10178 mg/l 10700 mg/l -522.00

Ca 385 mg/l 440 mg/l -55.00

Mg 1229 mg/l 1370 mg/l -141.00

K 369 mg/l 400 mg/l -31.00

Br 68 mg/l 62 mg/l 6.00

B 3.229 mg/l 4,5 mg/l -1.27

Sr 7.876 mg/l 8 mg/l -0.12

S 974 mg/l 900 mg/l 74.00

Li-Group (60 Gallons)
Li 369 µg/l 200 µg/l 169.00

Ni 4.227 µg/l 5 µg/l -0.77

Mo 7.264 µg/l 12 µg/l -4.74

I-Group (60 Gallons)
V 0 µg/l 1,2 µg/l -1.20

Zn 47 µg/l 4 µg/l 43.00

Mn 0 µg/l 2 µg/l -2.00

I 0 µg/l 60 µg/l -60.00

Fe-Group (60 Gallons)
Cr 0 µg/l 0,1 µg/l -0.10

Co 0 µg/l 0,1 µg/l -0.10

Fe 0 µg/l 0,1 µg/l -0.10

Ba-Group (60 Gallons)
Ba 16 µg/l 10 µg/l 6.00

Be 0 µg/l 0,1 µg/l -0.10

Si-Group (60 Gallons)
Si 360 µg/l 100 µg/l 260.00

Nutrient-Group (60 Gallons)
P 39 µg/l 6 µg/l 33.00

PO4 0.11934 mg/l 0.01836 mg/l 0.101

Youtube

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen quite a few ICP test results (more than a hundred, certainly) and I do not recall ever seeing lead show up as it is in yours.

Tin and zinc being elevated is fairly common, and I do not know if either level is an issue (raw numbers cannot really say for trace elements since there are many forms).

Does the tank seem OK?

I'd look very hard for some metal part in the water.

Any chance some soldered part is in the water?

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve looked for sources and can’t find anything. All hose clamps that touch water are plastic. The only metal in the tank or sump can be found in the motors of the return pump, skimmer pump, and power heads. Everything is working fine and no critters are suffering. I’m stumped. I might take the powerheads and pumps apart and check the engines.

The only moving parts other than the pumps are the ATO pump and a doser. I don’t make my own RO/DI water but buy it from an LFS in town. We had a club meeting there today and most everyone that doesn’t make their own, buys from this same store. Of course, none of them have had their tanks tested either.

Questions.... can Vibrant or Dr Tim’s Wasteaway cause lead to be that high? The info they sent said the most likely cause of this is contaminated trace elements or salt. In the meantime, I’m ordering some Detox ASAP. Other than that, any suggestions?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve looked for sources and can’t find anything. All hose clamps that touch water are plastic. The only metal in the tank or sump can be found in the motors of the return pump, skimmer pump, and power heads. Everything is working fine and no critters are suffering. I’m stumped. I might take the powerheads and pumps apart and check the engines.

The only moving parts other than the pumps are the ATO pump and a doser. I don’t make my own RO/DI water but buy it from an LFS in town. We had a club meeting there today and most everyone that doesn’t make their own, buys from this same store. Of course, none of them have had their tanks tested either.

Questions.... can Vibrant or Dr Tim’s Wasteaway cause lead to be that high? The info they sent said the most likely cause of this is contaminated trace elements or salt. In the meantime, I’m ordering some Detox ASAP. Other than that, any suggestions?

Why would there be lead in those products? Lots of people use them and as I said, I don't recall seeing elevated lead before.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any fake ordements in the tank? Like the stuff people put in freshwater tanks. I’ve heard that some of the die colors in those have lead based paint. Just a thought.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do all your water changes first before adding trace elements , I don’t know how careful you are about putting your hands in your tank .. always wash them first ... I think the biggest contaminants we can find can come from this .. hand creams ,soaps .. petting dogs that have just been flea powdered , the oil from your skin ....are just some examples... otherwise know as “Hands in tank syndrome “....
Probably not the answer your looking for but definitely something too think about !

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would there be lead in those products? Lots of people use them and as I said, I don't recall seeing elevated lead before.
That’s the point.... they don’t! I don’t have any ornaments or decorations - only live rock. I think I’m going to test my water source. There are three LFSs in town and I’m gonna check all of their saltwater. They have PVC plumbing but each building is old and probably has lead pipes coming into the building from outside. That’s the only thing I can think of. In the meantime I’ve ordered some Triton detox. It’s supposed to help rid the tank of heavy metals. Someone said that purigen does the same but I’ve been running purigen since the beginning. The only thing I have other than a doser and ATO is a CO2 scrubber. All plastic....

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 19 41.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 24 52.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 3 6.5%

Back