Triton Results...was not expecting results

chk4tix

Not a bot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I have been battling a unknown issue that I have not been able to grow much of anything besides fish for almost 3 years now. So after no luck in finding any obvious answers to the root cause, it was suggested to to a Triton test.

Here are the results, this creates more questions then answers for me. The only thing I do know from this is that my P and P04 tests are garbage.

Ideas?
Heavy 1.jpeg
I Fe Ba.jpeg
Marcro Li.jpeg
Si Nutrient.jpeg

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats not so bad actually .. have you read actions and dosing as too wether a detox needed for the metal .. and how Many water Changes ..but Your on the right Path too fixing it now,i had a similar problem .. followed their instructions now my sps are growing nicely

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that tin is high and could be the issue.

We do not have good data on how much is too much (and likely can't since chemical form matters a lot too), but tin has long been used to prevent biofouling of ships, and so will kill organisms.

High phosphate can cause issues, but won't kill most corals. Great tanks can have phosphate as high as 1 ppm. :)

OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Not a bot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tin & iodine are very high?

What's your regular water change regime, what do you dose & what foods do you add?

I currently do a 15g change once a month. For food, I do a mix of freeze dried mysis and brine, then have nori for the tangs. For dosing, I dose "recipe 2" for alk and calc.

Thats not so bad actually .. have you read actions and dosing as too wether a detox needed for the metal .. and how Many water Changes ..but Your on the right Path too fixing it now,i had a similar problem .. followed their instructions now my sps are growing nicely

It does have the suggestions but its basically says looks for something that is leaching into the tank for tin. This is the one that has me the most confused, i have already looked through my tank and sump for possible metal that could be leaching and I cant find anything obvious.

I agree that tin is high and could be the issue.

We do not have good data on how much is too much (and likely can't since chemical form matters a lot too), but tin has long been used to prevent biofouling of ships, and so will kill organisms.

High phosphate can cause issues, but won't kill most corals. Great tanks can have phosphate as high as 1 ppm. :)

I guess I don't understand the conversion from μg/l to the standard "reefing" amounts like dKh or ppm, etc. any help you can give me on converting the tin, P, PO4, calc to compare against something I might understand better?

Martin Kuhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nearly all micro / macro elements are specified in
1 mg/l = 1/1000 g/l ~ 1 ppm

Different with a factor of 1/1000 for
1 μg/l = 1/1000000 g/l ~ 1/1000 ppm
This is used for micro elements in very low concentrations. Eg toxic stuff

—-

Only alkalinity can be given In three different measurements
dKH (degrees of German hardness), mEq/l (Milli equivalents per liter) and also ppm (parts per million). For conversion between this units you need an, uneven, factor

Interested in more details: have a look in the first chapters of my „waterparameter FAQ“

Conversion from all units used for reef aquariums: check out the free/light version of AquaCalculator for MS Windows
(Both linked on my homepage)

Kind rgds
Martin

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently do a 15g change once a month. For food, I do a mix of freeze dried mysis and brine, then have nori for the tangs. For dosing, I dose "recipe 2" for alk and calc.

It does have the suggestions but its basically says looks for something that is leaching into the tank for tin. This is the one that has me the most confused, i have already looked through my tank and sump for possible metal that could be leaching and I cant find anything obvious.

I guess I don't understand the conversion from μg/l to the standard "reefing" amounts like dKh or ppm, etc. any help you can give me on converting the tin, P, PO4, calc to compare against something I might understand better?
Your P is 223 ppb
Po4 is 0.68 ppm

If your not dosing iodine it must be in the food your feeding. I don't know if Randy thinks that's toxic at that level?

Water changes aren't helping with the tin. Could it be the salt you use?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Triton would recomend like 4-6 ...15% water Changes spread out over 4-6 weeks for removing the tin .. if not a detox cure .. follow Their advice and you Will be fine .!!

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Triton would recomend like 4-6 ...15% water Changes spread out over 4-6 weeks for removing the tin .. if not a detox cure .. follow Their advice and you Will be fine .!!
But he needs to locate the cause of the tin problem as well.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In tritons help they Will list possible sources for contamination, I would begin there for your search !

C2A4995C-D209-4952-A388-FFA2E91898B7.png

OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Not a bot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies and I appreciated the explanation of "conversions", that makes more sense now.

Also, I think I have found the possible sources of the tin. I decided to change up the equipment in my sump following what is suggested on the Triton page where the refugium is in the first section, the skimmer in the next section, then return in the last section. As I was moving stuff around, I noticed on the overflow pipe from the tank, it goes from PVC to vinyl tubing, that there was one of those metal adjustiple "O" clamps. Unfortunately, I remember putting it on as a temporary fix becoase I was going to hard plumb the return but apparently never got around to it.
It was completely covered in rust and it had the start of a "drip" that would fall directly into the tank as it got large enough. So it looks like I have been slowly "dosing" my tank with whatever chemical that make up those clamps for who knows how long.
I have removed it any am going to try some CupriSorb because I read it can help with the tin as well as the prescribed water changes to see what happens.

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies and I appreciated the explanation of "conversions", that makes more sense now.

Also, I think I have found the possible sources of the tin. I decided to change up the equipment in my sump following what is suggested on the Triton page where the refugium is in the first section, the skimmer in the next section, then return in the last section. As I was moving stuff around, I noticed on the overflow pipe from the tank, it goes from PVC to vinyl tubing, that there was one of those metal adjustiple "O" clamps. Unfortunately, I remember putting it on as a temporary fix becoase I was going to hard plumb the return but apparently never got around to it.
It was completely covered in rust and it had the start of a "drip" that would fall directly into the tank as it got large enough. So it looks like I have been slowly "dosing" my tank with whatever chemical that make up those clamps for who knows how long.
I have removed it any am going to try some CupriSorb because I read it can help with the tin as well as the prescribed water changes to see what happens.
From this paper - https://books.google.com.au/books?i...onepage&q=does macroALGAE ABSORB TIN?&f=false

"Tin concentrations found in algae samples collected were in the range of 0.03 mg kg-1 to 0.83 mg kg-1"

Your algae will absorb it also

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds like a good plan.

Happy Reefing. :)

OP
OP
chk4tix

chk4tix

Not a bot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to give an update just incase anyone was interested. After removing the hose clamp, I purchased the CurpriSorb and while waiting for it to arrived I did a 20% water change. I added the CupriSorb about 5 days ago and it appears my tank might be headed back in the right direction. I know its a little early to say conclusively but the few LPS that I have appear more "puffy" then they have in years.
Thanks again for the help

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From this paper - https://books.google.com.au/books?i...onepage&q=does macroALGAE ABSORB TIN?&f=false

"Tin concentrations found in algae samples collected were in the range of 0.03 mg kg-1 to 0.83 mg kg-1"

Your algae will absorb it also
I don't think it's those clamps.

I have literally lost them in my sump and had them completely dissolve in my tank with no negative effects...lol. I have two below the water level rusting away right now...

Of course my water volume is 265g and I change about 80 gallons to 110 gallons per month so it never built up I suppose?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back