triton sump 10% of display volume

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Psymon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So am I figuring this right. If I calculate the actual water volume of my display tank and then figure 10% of that for my refugium size? So if my actual water volume is 68 gallons in an 80 gal display tank I could go as low as a 6.8 gal refugium?

I think your calculation is correct, however, I have found so much benefit to having the refugium as big as possible, or as much as space permits, I think my refugium is somewhere in the region of 25%-35% volume. The pod population, the life in there, the added stability. I would try not skimp out on this area.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your calculation is correct, however, I have found so much benefit to having the refugium as big as possible, or as much as space permits, I think my refugium is somewhere in the region of 25%-35% volume. The pod population, the life in there, the added stability. I would try not skimp out on this area.
Esp if ur going to run triton

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above but if you don't have the space a small refugium will get the job done if you have a powerful enough light. Been on the Triton system for about 6 months and my tank has never been better. Had trouble with sps corals until I went with Triton... so far anyway. Have a Eshopps R200 sump which is not a proper sump for running Triton but I think there are different ways to run Triton and still get good results. To put my "method" in a nut shell is sort of a Triton/Berlin hybrid. So sorry d2mini, who had the perfect setup to run Triton, decided not to give it another chance. Reading about his new tank made me decide on Triton instead of Balling, Forrest etc. There is room to experiment with Triton and have success even if you don't have the ideal setup.

OP
OP
E

edolan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses. I definitely would have gone bigger on the refugium if I could have but my stand doesn't allow for more space. Nice to hear that you are having success though Oberst. Your system is similar to what mine will be.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back