Triton sumP design vs standard sump opinions

NY_Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for opinions on triton sump benefits And why.

I have always used a sump configured left to right skimmer> Fuge > return with a filter sock.

I see the Triton sump has refugium first. And no socks. is there a real benefit to this design ?

im in the market for a new sump For a new 150 gallon build.

im also considering a design that has skimmer on left > return in middle > Fuge on right fed by return pump manifold

would love to hear opinions and reviews on which design is most favored by experienced reefers and why

happy reefing !

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A triton sump is no socks, and then fuge first before skimmer. The idea is to keep a healthy robust fuge with macroalgae and fauna. If you have filtering methods (socks and skimmer) before the fuge, you reduce nutrients to the fuge and sometimes the fuge can suffer (read all the threads people post of chaeto dying or not growing).

If you have a sump designed for triton, there is no sock compartment so it saves space. Simply removing the socks from a sock holder can lead to a slightly noisy waterfall effect.

Some drawbacks to the triton sump is that your skimmer can get more junk in it, like chaeto etc. You miss out on mechanical filtration that socks give you. Theoretical reduction in pods getting to your DT, though I think in reality it is the opposite if you have a robust fuge. Some people think that the skimmer kills a large proportion of pods.

Having the return in the middle and a separate fuge reduces the flow to the fuge (if you’re teeing odd return), but keeps the pods intact to go into the return (as opposed to passing through the skimmer section).

You won’t find consensus, as a lot of reefers differ on whether they like mechanical filtration or not. No right way. I am too lazy to mess with socks, and would go with a triton style sump design even though I don’t subscribe to the triton method.

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
N

NY_Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the response. i do not like the chore of filter socks but can't argue that mechanical filtration helps keep a reef clean off unwanted detritus. i think ill pass on the triton method and stick with a different fuge setup.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back