Triton Sumps?

Marcus Rogers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly a dumb question but, I was looking at sumps and I came across the triton sump that says "no more water changes". I was wondering if any one has any experience with these sumps or have an idea as to what they mean. And how this sump could allow for no water changes. I attached a screenshot of the message as well and I think the sump is made by trigger systems. Thank you!

Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 5.10.12 PM.png

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be clear, purchasing a Triton sump does not mean you no longer have to do water changes. Triton sumps are designed to be used with the Triton method, which uses a refugium for nutrient export and has a dosing regiment for the replenishment of major, minor, and trace elements. The Triton method essentially allows you to run with little to no water changes. The sump is simply designed to be used with the method. A sump simply does not reduce or eliminate the water change process :)
I also see you're a new member here so let me take this opportunity to say Welcome to R2R! :)
giphy (5).gif
#WelcometoR2R

Last edited:

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi , triton is a method of dosing where calc alk and mag and trace elements are added , triton recommend using a refugium with their method for reducing nutrients.. all this Reduces the need for water changes , too the point of not needing too , these sumps are made by triton to work with their method basically... there’s two methods of triton ... core7 and other methods .. core7 is used with a refugium, other methods is for using without a refugium, using a media reactor ... hope this helps !

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The triton sump is magical kingdom where at the stroke of midnight, a fairy appears out of a secret compartment hidden in the sump with a magical wand and makes all NO3 and PO4 disappear with a single wave of her wand.

She also sprinkles pixie dust in the water to perfectly balance all your elements like Calc, Alk and Mag with all 72 trace ekements.

Its quite delightful

Love-Trust-and-Pixie-Dust-2.jpg

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton Method usually refers to three things. Testing ,Supplementing, and keeping a fuge for nutrient export.
In theory, keeping up with these things eliminates the need to change out water. Many people have had success. (I'm someone who is still half and half. I like getting the tests but still rely on water changes. I haven't been able to bring myself to commit)

The sumps do not matter. It just part of the marketing. Now that doesn't mean they aren't well built. It just means without the tests/supplements it's just a regular sump.

The image says it comes with the Triton Method. Perhaps a discount on their products or a few free tests?

joe berkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does eliminates filter socks, I don't uss the triton method but do use a triton sock less sump and love it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back