Trochus snail mortality

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to have more problems with trochus snails than any other type as far as dying after acclimation! Has anyone noticed this as well? I will usually lose 1-3 after acclimated to my qt and then once qt time is up and transfer to my dt I will again lose 1-3 and my dt and qt run pretty close parameters. I can add fish and other inverts straight from my qt to dt without acclimation

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Snails are really sensitive to Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates, and major changes in those can cause death. They also need hard water to live. Hard water contains calcium and they need this to keep their shells hard and strong. Without it, their shells will turn white and begin to errode, killing the snail.
A pH of 7.7 and higher is required. A food source is very much needed and if you have a sudden drop in the nutrient levels you can have a lot of snails starve and die off.

nick_md

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed a similar pattern for some Trochus snails I've gotten compared to other types of snails like Nassarius, Margaritas, and Ceriths. I'm curious how long you acclimate your snails for? I admit I vary the time quite a bit depending on my patience level at the time...

I would definitely try a very slow drip acclimation and see if they have a better outcomes (if the water chemistry is within normal ranges of course, like mentioned above).

OP
OP
jeff williams

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya me as well on acclimation sometimes I drip other times I float and add a small amount of water to the bag. But my qt and dt run same Sg temp alk. Ph might vary a little and calcium as well with all my other critters it’s pull them out of qt and straight into dt but not with trochus anymore

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have lost 30 torchus snails in the last few months. They all die (1 survived) within 48 hours of introducing to the tank. I float them in the sump and drip acclimate for about 45 min.

I recently heard that they are really bad shippers and not buying them anymore for a while.

All my fish and LPS are fine.

Edit: I never had issues with them earlier last year.

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to have more problems with trochus snails than any other type as far as dying after acclimation! Has anyone noticed this as well? I will usually lose 1-3 after acclimated to my qt and then once qt time is up and transfer to my dt I will again lose 1-3 and my dt and qt run pretty close parameters. I can add fish and other inverts straight from my qt to dt without acclimation
In the beginning i had issues with Dying trochus snails dying after acclimating them (Temp and Salinity) Now for my snails (Trochus, Turbo, Nassarius) I only temp acclimate them for 15-20 minutes then pop them bad boys into my tank. Seems to be working just fine for me now.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have lost 30 torchus snails in the last few months. They all die (1 survived) within 48 hours of introducing to the tank. I float them in the sump and drip acclimate for about 45 min.

I recently heard that they are really bad shippers and not buying them anymore for a while.

All my fish and LPS are fine.

Edit: I never had issues with them earlier last year.
This was when I had no clue about acclimating anything to a reef tank. Happy news, I have snail babies now.

3C3DDA39-EA77-452F-8887-3FF4CE5BFE28.jpeg

CBB99A40-965F-4EA1-A8C1-2635F9D7B133.jpeg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 31.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back