Trochus snail spawning

fisheriesdoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My trochus snails spawn about once a month, sometime near the new moon. I’ve watched this for a few years now and had a couple of successful spawns. I have no need for more trochus snails so I am not interested in increasing their success. However, I do have a general interest in the ecology of marine critters and wonder why I haven’t seen a successful spawn (young snails) in quite some time. I suspect some of this just may be natural variability in spawning success, but maybe there is something else at work. Does anyone have trochus snails that reliably produce young snails, or do the spawns seem to be boom or bust?

thanks for entertaining a snail rant.

LAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My trochus snails spawn about once a month, sometime near the new moon. I’ve watched this for a few years now and had a couple of successful spawns. I have no need for more trochus snails so I am not interested in increasing their success. However, I do have a general interest in the ecology of marine critters and wonder why I haven’t seen a successful spawn (young snails) in quite some time. I suspect some of this just may be natural variability in spawning success, but maybe there is something else at work. Does anyone have trochus snails that reliably produce young snails, or do the spawns seem to be boom or bust?

thanks for entertaining a snail rant.
If they stopped having more babies than it may be because there is not enough food for the young to eat if they did have more.

OP
OP
F

fisheriesdoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they stopped having more babies than it may be because there is not enough food for the young to eat if they did have more.
I think that could be it. I’ve gotten much better about nutrient control in the last year or so and I don’t think I have seen a successful spawn since.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back