Trochus spawning event

MrBubble47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today saw one my Trochus snails releasing sperm. He kept doing that for 40/60 minutes.

Does this happen together with one or more other snails releasing eggs?

If you have pics or videos of your own snails doing the same, please post it on this thread. ;)

VIDEO:
Trochus snail spawning event

Last edited:

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats mine did the same. I have like 4 baby trochus snails now 2 were last month 2 are this month. I noticed the first two when they were relatively big.

OP
OP
MrBubble47

MrBubble47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats mine did the same. I have like 4 baby trochus snails now 2 were last month 2 are this month. I noticed the first two when they were relatively big.
Thank you, I added them just the day before yesterday ;Happy

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it interesting that it is usually a coordinated event with my trochus snails and feeding the tank can be a trigger. On days that they are "in the mood" I will feed and suddenly see all these "poofs" sail up from behind the rocks all over the tank. No baby trochuses' yet, though, could be I have a tank full of males.

Great videos!

OP
OP
MrBubble47

MrBubble47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome videos
Thank you ;Shamefullyembarrased
I find it interesting that it is usually a coordinated event with my trochus snails and feeding the tank can be a trigger. On days that they are "in the mood" I will feed and suddenly see all these "poofs" sail up from behind the rocks all over the tank. No baby trochuses' yet, though, could be I have a tank full of males.

Great videos!
Oh I see! It can be a non-coordinated effort then... Wether female are present or absent they do this anyways, interesting

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it's just the females spitting out eggs, sometimes it is just the males shooting out sperm, sometimes it's both together. Events in my case are always a few days before. or a few days after the new moon.

Very interesting, I'll definitely take note of the date next time I see it happen!

flatfish72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had quite few snail babies. But too sad, one day one of their parents crawled out of tank and dry itself to death.

flatfish72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a sad way to go... Did the baby snails survive? If yes, how big are they?
They started to be tiny dots, just like mini miniatures of their parents. I have two batches of them. One was 2 month ago? ?They are now about 1/4inch. The second batch about 1/16. Since I only have one adult left now, I will not see any baby snails anytime soon. But maybe in near future I will bring in a new adult to avoid inbreeding.
You don't need to anything. After they enjoy their fun acts, you should expect some baby snails soon.

IMG_20210622_203506_edit_142640244259483.jpg

Last edited:

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are apparently all backwards. From what I've read, it's typical for them to spawn in the evenings around the new moon. Mine are morning spawners a few days after the full moon. This was a few minutes ago:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210727-074200_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20210727-074200_Messages.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 35

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have spawned a few times in the last year, I have not seen any babies however.
mine breed after a water change right before or after lights out. I usually time the water change.
If you want a large spawn, dump some phyto into the tank after the water change and shut off the flow for like 30min to an hour for the spawn to get a chance. IDK why but this signals spawning for mine

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back