Tropic Eden substrate - what do you like about it?

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to pull the trigger on substrate. Originally I was planning to use CaribSea Special Grade, but recently I have seen a few reefaholics recommend Tropic Eden. For those who've used it, what makes it a better choice?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 100% like the grains in tropic eden mesoflakes better than special grade cat litter looking arag.
But i bought 2 bags of mesoflake that were loaded with blue flakes and also found some black pieces that i pulled out with a highpower magnet.

Needless to say i got a refund and wont be using tropic eden in the future.
I went with special grade.

OP
OP
Gort

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 100% like the grains in tropic eden mesoflakes better than special grade cat litter looking arag.
But i bought 2 bags of mesoflake that were loaded with blue flakes and also found some black pieces that i pulled out with a highpower magnet.

Needless to say i got a refund and wont be using tropic eden in the future.
I went with special grade.
@Saltyreef - thanx for the feedback. Based on your experience, you'd advice going with CaribSea Special Grade?

OP
OP
Gort

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yo @Saltyreef - I like the look of Mesoflake, too. I checked with a vendor that uses Tropic Eden exclusively for their in-store and customer service tanks. They have never experienced the anomalies you had. I wonder if it's a one-off, or ??

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yo @Saltyreef - I like the look of Mesoflake, too. I checked with a vendor that uses Tropic Eden exclusively for their in-store and customer service tanks. They have never experienced the anomalies you had. I wonder if it's a one-off, or ??
Theres another thread with more people experiencing this issue.

I was hoping i could suck out all the magnetic particles by just running a magnet over the sandbed but they dont attract until the magnet is quite close.

OP
OP
Gort

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres another thread with more people experiencing this issue.

I was hoping i could suck out all the magnetic particles by just running a magnet over the sandbed but they dont attract until the magnet is quite close.
I'll try to find that thread. Sorry to hear about your scavenger hunt. As cool as anything may look, not sure I want to add something else to be worried about.

OP
OP
Gort

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Back