Tropic Marin All for Reef: My two week dosing experiment

  • Thread starter Thread starter waverider
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Has anyone noticed that the last 100-200ml of the 1000 mixed is a little more potent rasing alk more my AFR batches last about a month I’m assuming it may be from possible settling in the container while waiting to be dosed I don’t have any issues with mixing let it go on a mag mixer for about a hour so I don’t believe it’s a mixing issues
I’ve used AFR a long time an have not noticed that.
 
I use afr and mix a double batch when I mix it up. I use the scoop, 12 level scoops into a 3l plastic pitcher with a line marked to indicate 1800ml. I fill the pitcher to the line with ro/di add the 12 scoops and mix it up with a plastic serving spoon. Takes maybe 5 min of stirring and its all dissolved. My ro/di storage is in the basement its typically around 68f. Never had an issue with it not completely dissolving going on 2 years now I've gone through 3 1600g containers and about to open my 4th.
 
I use afr and mix a double batch when I mix it up. I use the scoop, 12 level scoops into a 3l plastic pitcher with a line marked to indicate 1800ml. I fill the pitcher to the line with ro/di add the 12 scoops and mix it up with a plastic serving spoon. Takes maybe 5 min of stirring and its all dissolved. My ro/di storage is in the basement its typically around 68f. Never had an issue with it not completely dissolving going on 2 years now I've gone through 3 1600g containers and about to open my 4th.
It’s not a issue with it dissolving it’s still clear and I can’t see any visible sediment at the bottom just something i noticed the past few batches according to my trident
 
Has anyone noticed that the last 100-200ml of the 1000 mixed is a little more potent rasing alk more my AFR batches last about a month I’m assuming it may be from possible settling in the container while waiting to be dosed I don’t have any issues with mixing let it go on a mag mixer for about a hour so I don’t believe it’s a mixing issues
No I have not seen this, I use scale when mixing AFR.
Maybe if you use the scoop that last bit in the container is compressed vs. the stuff at the top being not as packed.

I am not sure you can have settling happening with calcium formate, it is compound…
 
No I have not seen this, I use scale when mixing AFR.
Maybe if you use the scoop that last bit in the container is compressed vs. the stuff at the top being not as packed.

I am not sure you can have settling happening with calcium formate, it is compound…
Yeah I also weigh out with a scale , wierd maybe it’s just this container I’m stumped
 
Has anyone noticed that the last 100-200ml of the 1000 mixed is a little more potent rasing alk more my AFR batches last about a month I’m assuming it may be from possible settling in the container while waiting to be dosed I don’t have any issues with mixing let it go on a mag mixer for about a hour so I don’t believe it’s a mixing issues

I’ve not noticed this, and if it is a clear solution still, the potency per mL is the same as at the start of the same solution (if that is what you mean). Maybe your doser is delivering different amounts?
 
Yup that's what both the website and bottle say.

That's what I've done for about 5 years now and always struggled to get it all dissolved, also had occasional dosing line clogging issues. For about a year now I've been using 1000ml of water and all of my issues went away.

There's no negative effects, so if you do have issues, just add a little extra water. It won't hurt a thing.
i thought the directions said to mix 80g with 500g of water... thats what ive been doing for a while now..
 
I weigh the afr powder and water. 900g water to 160g afr. No problems with it not dissolving.
 
i thought the directions said to mix 80g with 500g of water... thats what ive been doing for a while now..
Directly from the website it says approximately 160g of AFR with approximately 900ml of water.

Since they send it with a scooper (which isn't going to be very accurate) and say approximately for both water and afr I'm guessing there's plenty of fudge factor here. I've been using 1000ml instead of 900ml for quite a while now and have had no issues. It's working just fine and it dissolves better imo.

So I say do what works for you.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new