tropic marin all for reef

guysmiley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all iv just taken the plunge and started to use tropic marin all for reef , i had been using aqua Forrest components 123 and reef salts . anyway i made up 5 liters of solution from the 800gm powder and put it in a new icecap 5 liter dosing container at the moment its sitting next to my pc next to tank so exposed to light ,im just dosing 20ml per day and watching alk measurements on ghl khd , my question is does the solution need to be kept in the dark and does it have an expiration time? like if it was stored in a container in a cupboard and kept for 6 months will it go off ? will it grow algae in solution ?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I've seen these questions answered recently. There is no expiration, just seal it tight to prevent evaporation and store in the dark because algae can grow, but it won't hurt anything if it does.

OP
OP
guysmiley

guysmiley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I've seen these questions answered recently. There is no expiration, just seal it tight to prevent evaporation and store in the dark because algae can grow, but it won't hurt anything if it does.
Thank you Cell i had looked everywhere but couldnt find that info cheers :)

OP
OP
guysmiley

guysmiley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The normal formulation of All For Reef is too "salty" to allow growth of bacteria or algae. If you dilute it, either of those could happen.
Thank you kindly Randy :) i wish i could get my head around the science but it hurts lol .. well atleast now i know not to try diluting it = )

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the answers to your questions direct from TM:

As @Bulk Reef Supply mentioned, as long as you don't get lots of evaporation, there is no problem to store the AFR for quite some time. Certainly a few months is no problem. Be sure to try to keep it in a dark place when storing. If it is exposed to enough light, you will see some bacterial growth in the storage container. If that happens, don't worry. It is not bad or dangerous in any way. In fact, it doesn't even effect the solution. It just doesn't look very nice! :)

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I'm not sure I agree with Lou's assertion.

Perhaps he meant to say algae? Most bacteria do not require light
Yes @Randy Holmes-Farley I agree with you. I really meant those as somewhat separate comments. In fact, we do sometimes see some bacterial growth in the solution in time, even with the concentrations in it. So yes, away from light for the algae growth, and not to worry if you happen to get a little show of some bacterial film or filaments, they won't bother anything. Later versions and newer bottlings show less of that issue. But it can still happen.

Back