Tropic Marin Bio high dkh

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening all,

I got some premixed buckets of tropic Marin bio from my LFS. I did a small water change and tested my alkalinity and it shot up from 8.2 to 11.4. I tested the bucket water and it was around 12. Something.

does this seem way off I thought the dkh of this salt was 8-9? Or is my Hanna checker just off? I am on the last bit of reagent and I have heard it throws it off?

I have checked for the past few days and it’s still high but coming down. It’s down to about 10.1 over the course of 6-7 days I think.

so bad salt? Bad reagent? Something else?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the TM website (Q@A)

What are the differences between the three types of Tropic Marin Salt?
Values are approximate guidelines and are meant to reflect values measured at a salinity of 35 PSU which is equal to a specific gravity of 1.0264.
  • Classic: Ca: 370-390 ppm, Mg: 1250-1300 ppm, Alk: 9-10 dKH
  • Pro-REEF: Ca: 430-450 ppm, Mg: 1300-1350 ppm, Alk: 7-8 dKH
  • Bio-ACTIF: Ca: 430-450 ppm, Mg: 1300-1350 ppm, Alk: 8-9 dKH, plus carbon dosing compounds.
  • Syn-Biotic: Ca: 430-450 ppm, Mg: 1300-1350 ppm, Alk: 8-9 dKH, plus carbon dosing compounds, probiotic bacteria & denitrifying bacteria.

• So who knows what got mixed up and where that your lfs water raised the alk so quickly?
  • You need to test the water before you add it to prevent the same thing happening again. Might be better to mix your own under the circumstances?

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I am hoping an rodi is coming this weekend. I don’t know how it happened but I’m kinda ticked.. I’m hoping there isn’t anything to detrimental that will happen. As of now all corals, inverts, fish etc are ok except a Duncan isn’t as happy now. But I for sure want to start mixing my own.

I didn’t know if anyone else had something like this / if Hanna checkers break within a month or two haha.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine for a long while and they seem reliable unless you drop them. The reagent for Alk is a thing, as you mentioned. I try to keep extra on hand and if I get a wierd value I open a new bottle. I have an old salifert kit that I also use for cross checking now and again. Hanna is just to fast not to use.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back