Tropic Marin Part C dilution

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm using the "BRS Pharma Balling Method Bulk Total Package" and trying to setup electronic dosing using the Dosetronic.
BRS's directions call for dosing twice the amount of Tropic Marin Part C as Sodium Carbonate.
It seems that Dosetronic's adjustments only work when all parts are dosed in the same ratio. So much for "you can 100% customize to fit your purpose and needs" hehe :S
In their manual, they suggest to either use 2 pumps for this element or to dilute Part 1 and Part 2 to 50%. Both alternatives take you from 1:2 to a 1:1 ratio but they require an additional pump or have to refill containers twice as often.
Given that Tropic Marin's Part C is just "Trace Elements" I wonder if I could strengthen the Part C solution by doubling the amount of powder?
Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Note: I could run the experiment of adding twice as much Part C powder to a 1 gallon batch but I don't know if I would be able to see if anything goes wrong.
Not sure if precipitate is evident and if it can be dissolved again or if it just spoils the solution.
These might be basic questions, please bear with me, I'm just starting with dosing. Thanks again.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer the specific question, but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think that is correct about Part C.

If you are talking about the TM Classic Balling Part C, then what you are dosing is artificial salt without the Ca/Alk/Na/Cl components and basically balancing out dosing so that it has a neutral impact on your ASW. The end result is dosing ASW with elevated Alk/Ca to replace tank consumption. Per TM "...while the addition of sodium chloride free sea salt (part C) maintains the crucial ionic balance in the aquarium water."

If you want to replace minor elements/ions you need to use other products.

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm using the "BRS Pharma Balling Method Bulk Total Package" and trying to setup electronic dosing using the Dosetronic.
BRS's directions call for dosing twice the amount of Tropic Marin Part C as Sodium Carbonate.
It seems that Dosetronic's adjustments only work when all parts are dosed in the same ratio. So much for "you can 100% customize to fit your purpose and needs" hehe :S
In their manual, they suggest to either use 2 pumps for this element or to dilute Part 1 and Part 2 to 50%. Both alternatives take you from 1:2 to a 1:1 ratio but they require an additional pump or have to refill containers twice as often.
Given that Tropic Marin's Part C is just "Trace Elements" I wonder if I could strengthen the Part C solution by doubling the amount of powder?
Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Note: I could run the experiment of adding twice as much Part C powder to a 1 gallon batch but I don't know if I would be able to see if anything goes wrong.
Not sure if precipitate is evident and if it can be dissolved again or if it just spoils the solution.
These might be basic questions, please bear with me, I'm just starting with dosing. Thanks again.
Did you ever try this? Did it dissolve?

OP
OP
M

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning to double the amount of part c in my next batch but the salt I use has an excessive amount of magnesium and never had the need/chance to dose part c. I reached out and Dr Hans-Werner Balling himself confirmed that there is no problem to concentrate Original Balling Part C to twice the strength.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning to double the amount of part c in my next batch but the salt I use has an excessive amount of magnesium and never had the need/chance to dose part c. I reached out and Dr Hans-Werner Balling himself confirmed that there is no problem to concentrate Original Balling Part C to twice the strength.
Do you have that conformation, or a link to it?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part C should be very soluble and I also think it likely can be concentrated. Just try it if you want to and see if it mixes clear.

On a technical point, Balling Part C is not just trace elements. In fact, it is mostly the major ions (magnesium, sulfate, potassium, etc).

Trace elements are those ions present in seawater at very low concentrations, and so by design, those are also present in Part C at very low concentration.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part C should be very soluble and I also think it likely can be concentrated. Just try it if you want to and see if it mixes clear.

On a technical point, Balling Part C is not just trace elements. In fact, it is mostly the major ions (magnesium, sulfate, potassium, etc).

Trace elements are those ions present in seawater at very low concentrations, and so by design, those are also present in Part C at very low concentration.
I feel like I've "read" multiple times that it cannot be concentrated.

I need to make some this weekend I will try it if it hasn't been done already, because I fill my part c 2x as much and thats getting old..

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I've "read" multiple times that it cannot be concentrated.

Well, it’s easy enough to try it.

With most two parts it’s the alk part that limits concentrations (only hydroxide types do not have that limitation).

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed Tropic Marin :)
What did they say?

It's not clear exactly what they mean, but in the video below they say the solution of part C is already saturated and can't be concentrated further.

According to the original TM recipe you'd have 120g of part C in 5 litres.
According to the BRS recipe, you'd have 222g of part C in 5 liters.
Maybe the folks at tropic marin referred to the original recipe - which can be more concentrated.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put Balling Part C solids in whatever volume of RO/DI you want to use, and if it eventually goes clear on mixing, you are good to go. If not, you may still be able to use it perfectly fine if there are a small amount of solids that remain undissolved and you eventually dissolve and/or dose the particles directly. For example calcium sulfate may be a limiting factor at some concentration (it is not 100% clear whether they put any calcium in Part C, but if they do, it is likely a limiting ion to solubility due to the high sulfate present), but it will dissolve in the tank even if it doesn't dissolve in the dosing solution.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back