Tropic Marin Plus NP

Justin Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started dosing Tropic Marin's Plus NP for very low levels of NO3 & PO4. It's my understanding that this particular method of introducing the two can't be tested for. Rather, they're in a form that's more readily available for corals to use but still won't show up on a test. Here's my question - should I also be dosing my standard NO3 and PO4 doses to keep the detectable levels up? I'm concerned that non-detectable PO4 might lead to dino growth and I want to avoid that. Can the non-detectable form of phosphate in +NP help inhibit dino growth? Since I can't test for NO3 & PO4 when using the +NP I'm very hesitant to dose both or one of those separately for fear of really screwing up my frag tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that lack of ready detectability is a problem with this product.

Since we generally do not know precisely why low nitrate and phosphate leads to dinos (my theory is competition from something but for what and by what is not clear), then it is not clear that this product will serve the same function at any given dose, and I'd personally stick to nitrate and phosphate dosing, instead of, or in addition to, this product.

Fam5dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started dosing Tropic Marin's Plus NP for very low levels of NO3 & PO4. It's my understanding that this particular method of introducing the two can't be tested for. Rather, they're in a form that's more readily available for corals to use but still won't show up on a test. Here's my question - should I also be dosing my standard NO3 and PO4 doses to keep the detectable levels up? I'm concerned that non-detectable PO4 might lead to dino growth and I want to avoid that. Can the non-detectable form of phosphate in +NP help inhibit dino growth? Since I can't test for NO3 & PO4 when using the +NP I'm very hesitant to dose both or one of those separately for fear of really screwing up my frag tank.
How did it work out for you? I started a few days ago. My skimmer is going crazy, the water is cloudy and the tank smells now. The fish are done thankfully. I'm bottomed out reading 0 for NO3 and PO4 so I need something but since your can't test for this product and the issues I'm thinking of trying something else but don't know what yet.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need to dose either I'd skip the expensive magic potions and just use straight up potassium or sodium nitrate and/or phosphate. So much cheaper and literally does the same thing.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back