Tropic Marin Pro Reef, bye bye

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it goes out of stock, the price goes up at the few places that have it.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering where everyone purchased the problematic salt? Could be a counterfeit/knock-off from a specific retailer.

rmcrom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine from BRS late summer. The 200gal bucket.

Beck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's good to find out others are having trouble with Tropic Martin salt too. I've used it for about a year and a half. My last bucket I noticed had a plastic handle instead of metal. And the salt is definitely not the same as the old stuff. It mixes dirty!

Has anyone noticed a difference their tank using Tropic Martin that mixes dirty?

spicymikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this thread after searching "Tropic marin Pro brown residue". I've been using TM Pro with no problem. My 120gal mixing tank is always clean even when letting the salt sit for weeks. But this last batch (that I probably bought in late Nov) has turned the bottom of my white acrylic tank almost black! The sides are all a tinted a rusty brown. It wipes off easily enough and has no distinct odor that I can tell.

I stock it up so I have two more boxes to use. I'm not sure if I should throw it out.

Has TM responded about this recent quality control issue? Has anyone seen any lab studies on what this contaminant is mostly made of? I'm going to probably do an ICP test and see whats up. I'll share the results

Thanks

Last edited:

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this thread after searching "Tropic marin Pro brown residue". I've been using TM Pro with no problem. My 120gal mixing tank is always clean even when letting the salt sit for weeks. But this last batch (that I probably bought in late Nov) has turned the bottom of my white acrylic tank almost black! The sides are all a tinted a rusty brown. It wipes off easily enough and has no distinct odor that I can tell.

I stock it up so I have two more boxes to use. I'm not sure if I should throw it out.

Has TM responded about this recent quality control issue? Has anyone seen any lab studies on what this contaminant is mostly made of? I'm going to probably do an ICP test and see whats up. I'll share the results

Thanks
can you take a pic I'm mainly curious

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you take a pic I'm mainly curious
I too have nasty black residue buildup on my brute. Hopefully I’ll remember to post a picture of my can. Never had an this issue previously.

I just literally finished a brand new mixing station and batched 55 gallons of TMP in the right cylinder. I’m curious of the residue on brand new containers.

OP
OP
D

Drendo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The recent buckets that I received have been fine, but the two that I received late last year left that brown funk residue at the bottom of my buckets. I just went through a crash and I wouldn’t be surprised if the bad salt had a hand in it. Good news is that I think it was limited to a bad run. Would love to hear TM respond. Honesty says a lot about a company.

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean my bin out at least 4 times per year, so it’s not a build up issue. Never had this issue with the two years of using TMP until these last couple buckets. It’s the reason I switched from using IO to TMP for this build.
Doesn’t look like “Pure, pharmaceutical grade sea salt” to me. Unsatisfactory to me for a premium price. This is ONE swipe at the bottom with a paper towel! I’m not here to bash a company, but they have an issue with their production, raw materials or something else.
949EB338-4806-46DF-B730-3B4EA4DBBFAD.jpeg

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out post 1,183:
edited

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to this one as there are multiple posts about this and Lou from tmp has been answering questions and asking for folks to send info to him

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's good to find out others are having trouble with Tropic Martin salt too. I've used it for about a year and a half. My last bucket I noticed had a plastic handle instead of metal. And the salt is definitely not the same as the old stuff. It mixes dirty!

Has anyone noticed a difference their tank using Tropic Martin that mixes dirty?

Thanks

I too have nasty black residue buildup on my brute. Hopefully I’ll remember to post a picture of my can. Never had an this issue previously.

I just literally finished a brand new mixing station and batched 55 gallons of TMP in the right cylinder. I’m curious of the residue on brand new containers.

The recent buckets that I received have been fine, but the two that I received late last year left that brown funk residue at the bottom of my buckets. I just went through a crash and I wouldn’t be surprised if the bad salt had a hand in it. Good news is that I think it was limited to a bad run. Would love to hear TM respond. Honesty says a lot about a company.

Check your buckets, was the salt made at the Turkey facility or Germany?

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your buckets, was the salt made at the Turkey facility or Germany?
Been hesitant to use the Turkey bucket I’ve had for a couple months now because of the issues I’ve heard about. I’ve only been using the metal handle German buckets and still have an issue.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back