Tropic Marin Pro Salt Higher then Normal Cal

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont understand what your trying to explain. I picked this salt because it claimed to be close to the parameters i wanted. Thats not the case however. Im open to suggestions on how to improve my dosing regiment just understand i am green.
This is honestly the most educated post I have seen here. You have done more correctly than 90% of the people on here. You picked a salt that matched your parameters. This is 100% the right choice. Keep doing hat you are doing and the tank will balance out.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TM Pro is considered a high-quality salt and unlikely to be outside its standards. It's possible, but unlikely.

Hobby grade test kits are likely to be somewhat inaccurate and should be taken with a grain of salt. So when using your measurements understand their limitations.

I'd trust the salt over the measurements for TM Pro.

With salt, salinity is important for concentrations. Due to salinity issues with multiple refractometers, Hanna test kits, and GHL probes I personally don't trust anything but my high-precision hydrometer. And guess what, TM Pro mixes almost exactly to desired salinity based on their instructions.

So if you are chasing stability (a good thing), then I recommend:
  1. Trust but verify your chosen salt (ICP Testing)
  2. Meaure salinity monthly and replace evaporated water daily to maintain salinity. (High-precision Hydrometer)
  3. Measure Alk weekly and dose balanced Ca/Alk daily based on actual Alk consumption. Don't worry about the Alk measurement # just use whatever fresh salt mixes to as your target and reference. Many test kits are +/- 0.5dKH or worse for accuracy. (Hanna or automated like GHL)
  4. Every 6 months get an ICP test and rebalance Ca/Alk and other elements and ions you believe impact your tank. I use unbalanced 2/3 part dosing.
  5. For nutrient control, I like heavy in/out. In is food and fish waste where I balance dry (heavier in PO4) and wet (heavier in NO3). Out is mechanical filtration, fuge, Coral, carbon dosing, and Skimmer. (Hanna NO3/PO4)
  6. If you want pH stability, which I think can most likely be ignored as long as tank has good aeration, then kalkwasser drip with either a recirculating scrubber/Skimmer combo or Skimmer fed with fresh air.
In your case, I'm recommending trusting your salt, not using your Ca measurements to dose Ca additives, but rather using balanced dosing.

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TM Pro is considered a high-quality salt and unlikely to be outside its standards. It's possible, but unlikely.

Hobby grade test kits are likely to be somewhat inaccurate and should be taken with a grain of salt. So when using your measurements understand their limitations.

I'd trust the salt over the measurements for TM Pro.

With salt, salinity is important for concentrations. Due to salinity issues with multiple refractometers, Hanna test kits, and GHL probes I personally don't trust anything but my high-precision hydrometer. And guess what, TM Pro mixes almost exactly to desired salinity based on their instructions.

So if you are chasing stability (a good thing), then I recommend:
  1. Trust but verify your chosen salt (ICP Testing)
  2. Meaure salinity monthly and replace evaporated water daily to maintain salinity. (High-precision Hydrometer)
  3. Measure Alk weekly and dose balanced Ca/Alk daily based on actual Alk consumption. Don't worry about the Alk measurement # just use whatever fresh salt mixes to as your target and reference. Many test kits are +/- 0.5dKH or worse for accuracy. (Hanna or automated like GHL)
  4. Every 6 months get an ICP test and rebalance Ca/Alk and other elements and ions you believe impact your tank. I use unbalanced 2/3 part dosing.
  5. For nutrient control, I like heavy in/out. In is food and fish waste where I balance dry (heavier in PO4) and wet (heavier in NO3). Out is mechanical filtration, fuge, Coral, carbon dosing, and Skimmer. (Hanna NO3/PO4)
  6. If you want pH stability, which I think can most likely be ignored as long as tank has good aeration, then kalkwasser drip with either a recirculating scrubber/Skimmer combo or Skimmer fed with fresh air.
In your case, I'm recommending trusting your salt, not using your Ca measurements to dose Ca additives, but rather using balanced dosing.
Im going to invest in a hyrdometer because now that you mention it, I do always have to add more then the instructions say to. But that's always been the case and my prior buckets tested right where I expected them to. I guess I'm just so thrown off by the fact I've been using the same salt and same salinity chekers and test kits for 8 months and my Ca always tested in the 440-450 range not 500+. I mixed a fresh batch this morning and just added a bit more salt to it. Im going to let it disolve for another hour or so then get it down to 35 ppt and check Ca and PO4

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.7%
Back