Tropic Marin Pro Salt Precipitate

JKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'Morin,

I've been using TM Pro for almost 2 years now (in my 2-1/2 year old tank) and have been happy with the salt. One of the things I most appreciated about the salt is that it leaves no residue in my 32g tub that I use for my water changes. There is a Tunze pump sitting in the tub that constantly circulates the water. Typically, I'll mix up new salt water about every 2 weeks or so.

I've noticed that my last 2 TM Pro purchases are leaving a white "powder" residue in the tub. I last cleaned the tub about 2 months ago and the white residue does seem to be accumulating with each new batch of new salt water. The white residue does not dissolve and will float in the water column when disturbed and then settle back down to the bottom over time. My LFS suggests that it is excess magnesium and that all is OK. The only difference that I can think of is that the last few purchases have been with the large, 50 pounds?, bags rather than the slightly lighter buckets.

Not certain whether my issue is unique or whether someone has some ideas about what might be happening - but I thought I would share my experience.

Happy to hear anyone's thoughts.

Joe

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been getting white residue with Fritz and was planning on switching to TM. Maybe that perfect salt mix is a unicorn that everyone is looking for but may not actually exist outside our imaginations.

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that you post this…
I’ve used almost every salt imaginable, and never ran into the problem I am having with my latest box of tropic marin pro.

My freshly mixed saltwater is cloudy, and when you shine a light on it, it looks as if smoke is swirling around the container. Leaving it for a week doesn’t make it any better.

I’ve used tmp before and never had this issue.

This seems like some sort of calcium precipitate, but the question is why…

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also getting a residue with TM Salt that I never got before. It's a real pain to clean in my salt mixing station so I'm very unhappy.

Joe, I see you are on Long Island. Could this be a regional thing?

OP
OP
JKenny

JKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'Mornin,

I've seen this precipitate in my last 2 bags of TMP that I've bought from my LFS. I'm seeing something different from jDoSe though... I have a pump sitting in my 24g salt water mixing pail that runs 24/7. After about 20 minutes of mixing the TMP, my water itself does appear clean/clear. However, I get this white "dusty" precipitate that settles on any horizontal ridge that will not dissolve. On the bottom of the container, I can see the shape of the pumps output from where the precipitate has been pushed aside. It's not a heavy deposit but it is visible.

I vaguely remember, when TMP was hard to find anywhere a few months ago, reading that Tropic Marin was changing something in their salt fabrication which may have been the reason for the unavailability. Can't find it now, but there is definitely something different.

Well, I have a mixed tank that is predominantly SPS and everything has been doing fine. Whatever is happening is having no effect on my coral. I'm starting my 3rd bag of TMP in the next week or so and will see whether anything has changed.

Onward and upwards...

ReefCheef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the exact same problem. TMP purchased from BRS in the last 3-4 months. I can visibly see all the salt crystals floating in the water column. Not good..

Beck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same problem here. For me it started when they changed the bucket style to the plastic handle. The salt isn't the same as the old Tropic Martin. It doesn't mix as clear and I've been getting brown residue.

jhans1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same problem here. Lots of white particles in freshly mixed water.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is not unique nor regional. There have been a number of posts recently sharing exactly the same problem you are having. No one knows why. Perhaps they outsourced their production or changed the formula to alleviate the backlog.

Beck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my old buckets say made in Germany. My first bucket that says made in Turkey was the start of my issues.
20211201_163231.jpg

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please read this thread - page 3 or 4 starts the information via Lou and team.

swormke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues mixing, but do see the reddish brown sludge in mixing container. Here was the reply from TM about the problem stating it is due to manganese precipitates.

Dear Mr. Wormke,

Thank you very much for your e-mail. I am very sorry for my late reply.

The brownish sludge is caused by manganese precipitates as we have confirmed by ICP-OES analyses, but we see it in both salts, mixed in Germany and mixed in Turkey.

We try to resolve the problem. We would be happy to keep you as our valued customer.

Kind regards

Hans-Werner Balling

Tropic Marin
Dr. Biener GmbH
Steinaeckerweg 3 - 5
36367 Wartenberg
GERMANY

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest logging all experiences/complaints on this active thread being responded to by both Lou Ekus and Hans Werner.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back