Tropic marin pro salt

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this information. My parameters are exactly where I want them with TM Pro Reef Salt and I'm reluctant to change, but I can't find it ANYWHERE. I still have a little left and I'm wondering of maybe mixing it with Reef Crystals or something else would create a disaster.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this information. My parameters are exactly where I want them with TM Pro Reef Salt and I'm reluctant to change, but I can't find it ANYWHERE. I still have a little left and I'm wondering of maybe mixing it with Reef Crystals or something else would create a disaster.
When you start mixing salts you have a soup with no recipe, IMO. Change to a salt with similar properties so you don't stress your system, and stick with it. I had good results when I went to Red Sea blue bucket. Quite a few have gone this route. I just hope this doesn't put them in the same situation as Tropic Marin.

Mkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah last time I bought tropic marine I bought the big box owning a nano it will last me about a year!

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah last time I bought tropic marine I bought the big box owning a nano it will last me about a year!
Good move. It's a little disappointing seeing people hoarding more salt than they can use in a year but you have a different situation with the nano tank. I would have done the same.

Mkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good move. It's a little disappointing seeing people hoarding more salt than they can use in a year but you have a different situation with the nano tank. I would have done the same.
Good luck I’m heading to LFS today OSA in RI awesome store my see if they have any in stock

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you start mixing salts you have a soup with no recipe, IMO. Change to a salt with similar properties so you don't stress your system, and stick with it. I had good results when I went to Red Sea blue bucket. Quite a few have gone this route. I just hope this doesn't put them in the same situation as Tropic Marin.

Very good point. I had a discussion with my LFS owner last weekend about the Tropic Marin shortage. He even tried to find some for me using his suppliers and had no luck. He does carry the Red Sea blue bucket and mentioned that, so I may just switch to that one for now. He's big on Reef Crystals, which I've used in previous years, but I wanted something close to the Tropic Marin just because everything seems so stable in both of my tanks now. Thank you!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys do large enough % water changes that it makes a difference in your parameters? I only change 5-10% at a time, so it really doesn't matter what salt I use.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys do large enough % water changes that it makes a difference in your parameters? I only change 5-10% at a time, so it really doesn't matter what salt I use.
I do fairly large changes. 70 gallons at a time, once per month. That ends up being close to 25% of my system volume but probably closer to 35% of the water. That makes it so much more critical that I match alkalinity before exchanging water. For whatever reason the Red Sea blue ended up being a very close match to my TM Pro water. It has worked better than I expected.

I might begin scaling back on water changes soon. My parameters and nitrate and phosphate are very stable now that everything has matured.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back