Tropic Marin Recalls ‘Turkish Blend’ of Pro-Reef Salt Mix

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure if there is an updated thread on this, but this is the link for Bulk Reef Supply to do the exchange. Tropic Marin posted on their Instagram today to go through your retailer to complete the return. They just need a picture of the Turkey label on each box +/- the lot number if you have it.

https://share.hsforms.com/1pcBQvTcCT0yN3g6mTLg0Fg3mlb1

Snyderman3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for the record their Germany plant has no issues. Also. Have used two boxes from turkey and have no issues. Thu I do have concerns
I just bought a 5 gallon bucket of it and it’s from Germany and the water is filthy brown and the date I bought it was 5/10/22

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a 5 gallon bucket of it and it’s from Germany and the water is filthy brown and the date I bought it was 5/10/22
Exactly yet there’s no issues check out my mixing station pictures above my waterlines for auto water change. These where brand new and only had tropic Marin thru them maybe 1000-1400 gallons worth
AD7D66BB-FF6D-4A4A-9919-36A73AEC5DF3.jpeg BA7E0041-C66F-4A08-BE53-7253A4FB3323.jpeg C4013169-2401-4DAC-9443-23503EA5C848.jpeg

Last edited:

badams.one

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly yet there’s no issues check out my mixing station pictures above my waterlines for auto water change. These where brand new and only had tropic Marin thru them maybe 1000-1400 gallons worth
AD7D66BB-FF6D-4A4A-9919-36A73AEC5DF3.jpeg BA7E0041-C66F-4A08-BE53-7253A4FB3323.jpeg C4013169-2401-4DAC-9443-23503EA5C848.jpeg
Although not mixing as clean as usual, I assume you're still using it? Are you experiencing any issues with coral?

I've used this salt for years without issue and just recently have noticed the German batches mixing much dirtier than usual too. Definitely disappointed, so interested to hear if you're having any issues. Thanks!

tiomm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's issues with the german made salt too.
The magnesium sulfate (I think it was) has been contaminated and carries high amounts of ammonium.
Didn't know about this and have now lost several hundred dollars worth of coral.
As soon as i noticed issues with my corals I sent an ICP which came back fine.
So I just did a few waterchanges. And with every one i noticed my SPS were sliming and health overall just got worse and worse. Heard about the ammonium issue and changed to Aquaforest Reef salt and luckily things got back on track! I actually have nice coloration and growth tips on my Stylos after just two weeks after doing 6x 15% waterchanges.

NEVER TROPIC MARIN EVER AGAIN!

Slicktop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered some more TMP ... anyone else having issues?

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide some links to provide some more detail about the ammonium issue?

tiomm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I could. I have not seen anyone speak out about this. I trust my source. Especially since my dying tank turned around quickly as soon as I changed salt brands. Best way to figure out is to buy a cheap ammonium test and test your salt if you're having issues.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Several different threads here with concerns/complaints. Those that didn’t like the company response moved on to other brands and the chatter died down. I was in the same boat as @tiomm last year and finding I had more questions than answers as TM responded (and a price increase to boot), I moved on too. To date TM hasn’t acknowledged any issues that I am aware of.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Several different threads here with concerns/complaints. Those that didn’t like the company response moved on to other brands and the chatter died down. I was in the same boat as @tiomm last year and finding I had more questions than answers as TM responded (and a price increase to boot), I moved on too. To date TM hasn’t acknowledged any issues that I am aware of.
same here. TM user for ever. switched last winter when all of this was going down, but not before I bought a pallet of the German salt thinking it was ok. I don't think it was ok, and quit using it about half way into the pallet. I've got over got 15-20 buckets I may use to melt ice now. lol. thats about it. really unfortunate situation

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh. I’ve been a loyal TM user since I started a tank a few years ago. Would like to know what salt people have been switching to that has similar parameters to TM Pro. Sorry — not trying to creat another salt thread

tiomm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you have no factual information here?
No, sorry. My source is in the public domain and affiliated with a large public aquarium so I won't out him or his business. But like I said, if you're having issues just get a cheap ammonium test. Apparently contaminated magnesium sulfates occur in man made/DIY salts. It's not just a TM thing, even though they seem to be affected by it this time.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, sorry. My source is in the public domain and affiliated with a large public aquarium so I won't out him or his business. But like I said, if you're having issues just get a cheap ammonium test. Apparently contaminated magnesium sulfates occur in man made/DIY salts. It's not just a TM thing, even though they seem to be affected by it this time.

I hear you. Did you, or your source, contact Tropic Marin and report the experienced issue? I know Tropic Marin here and in other threads have provided their direct line to discuss issues or concerns. Curious as to what they have said.

With regards to large public aquariums I know someone who worked at one. They also had salt issues (forget the brand, apologies), but they documented it to include problem resolution and identified the source (shared conveyor belt I think it was).

I'm only 1 small user of Tropic Marin salts and have not run into any issues to report. TM Pro salt here. Then again I also used a complete bucket from Turkey. So I'm not really sure I'm a good reference.

tiomm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, neither of us. He asked me for a sample of the salt for further testing. But i had already binned it out of spite. My tank was dying and I had no patience or will to contact TM as I read in other threads they were ignoring people who reached out. I do not have the full picture here, but since I had seen improvement with another brand I just wanted to forget about it and move on.

But to be clear, if you're not having issues don't be scared of using your TMPR salt.
I felt I had to share since most threads seem to be about the Turkish batches.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I use this exclusively and the issue with Turkey has been long dissolved and was affected by certain batches

Tamale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a super shady comment. Randomly calling out TM. Claiming there are still issues with a different salt source, no reports, just some “public domain aquarist” who won’t be named. And then you can’t provide TM with a sample because you threw out all the affected salt out of “spite”? Okay.

Disclaimer: Not a TM product user at this time or in the past.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, neither of us. He asked me for a sample of the salt for further testing. But i had already binned it out of spite. My tank was dying and I had no patience or will to contact TM as I read in other threads they were ignoring people who reached out. I do not have the full picture here, but since I had seen improvement with another brand I just wanted to forget about it and move on.

But to be clear, if you're not having issues don't be scared of using your TMPR salt.
I felt I had to share since most threads seem to be about the Turkish batches.
That’s odd, Lou was very good at keeping me in the loop when I was trying to replace a bucket of TMPR. He communicated with me and the LFS I was getting my salt replaced by. I did catch him after the whole Turkish blend fiasco so that may have been a benefiting factor for me.

tiomm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a super shady comment. Randomly calling out TM. Claiming there are still issues with a different salt source, no reports, just some “public domain aquarist” who won’t be named. And then you can’t provide TM with a sample because you threw out all the affected salt out of “spite”? Okay.

Disclaimer: Not a TM product user at this time or in the past.
Right on, man. You should be sceptical. As i noted twice, if you are having issues go get an ammonium test. If its all good, then it's all good.

I only posted because for several weeks I pulled my hair trying to figure out what was wrong with my tank. The ICP was fine, but with every water change I clearly saw my corals react badly.

I googled for a bit and saw threads like this:

But it was when I talked about it locally I heard about the ammonium contamination.

I'm just trying to help if someone down the road has issues and starts searching for info online.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back