tropic marin synbio activ salt

Nmaran72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone using the new tropic marin syn bio activ salt. I currently use tropic marin pro. any pros or cons

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn't use it (or any mix with organic matter) since I like to store my salt water, and a mix with organics in it has the likelihood of bacteria growing on those organics. if not kept aerated, it might even begin to produce hydrogen sulfide. In this case they even add the bacteria to drive that process even faster.

U

User1

View Badges
I personally wouldn't use it (or any mix with organic matter) since I like to store my salt water, and a mix with organics in it has the likelihood of bacteria growing on those organics.

This is correct. If you make up a batch and store or do auto water changes then this isn't the salt for that job. I've watched a few of Lou's talks on the differences between the salts and he also mentions about storage vs immediate use.

I use the bio actif mix and it is amazing. Mixes really quick, clear, and no residue. However, I'll be switching to the classic or pro as I noticed my nutrients, specifically nitrates, bottoming out. Either related to the bio actif mix or all for reef. Is it better than say IO or RC I do not know but I've had good luck with it. Premium price tag though.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stuff is $190 a bucket in Canada.
I had to take another look...yup....$190
LOL.
Salt is salt.
What additive increases price twice....
Great marketing though...

U

User1

View Badges
The stuff is $190 a bucket in Canada.
I had to take another look...yup....$190
LOL.
Salt is salt.
What additive increases price twice....
Great marketing though...

I don't know what makes it cost twice as much. Marketing or not it is similar to Acropora. Acropora is acropora yet people pay $500 or more for a 1" frag....

So not sure what the point is really. Hobbyist have to choose is all.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone using the new tropic marin syn bio activ salt. I currently use tropic marin pro. any pros or cons

the instructions say not to store it, so if you like to make your salt in advance and store then I think you can buy the syn bio separately and add to their standard salt just before adding to the tank?

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into using this to set up the new build. I'll be carrying over some of the existing tank water, live rock, etc...
Given the existing tank has high nitrates currently, I figure that I can either add additives when I make the switch or go with this. I doubt that I would stay with this long term. I use two little fishies and love it. I need to make 100 gallons of salt water.... so..... here goes nothing... hoping it will make a smoother transition for all inhabitants and set the new tank up for success.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looking into using this to set up the new build. I'll be carrying over some of the existing tank water, live rock, etc...
Given the existing tank has high nitrates currently, I figure that I can either add additives when I make the switch or go with this. I doubt that I would stay with this long term. I use two little fishies and love it. I need to make 100 gallons of salt water.... so..... here goes nothing... hoping it will make a smoother transition for all inhabitants and set the new tank up for success.
You'll like it. I have two buckets here for a reason. It mixes easily and results are great

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Appreciate the endorsement! I still have one $10 BRS coupon left.... gonna need salt sooner than later, so why not save a few bucks.
Note the coupon ends in 5 hours

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
They are out of stock on the 80 gallon. I'd have to jump in and get the 200 gallon. I would have to store the other 50 and use as I go for WC. Have you had any issues with shelf life?
No. I opened up a bucket recently that I have had for 10 months and nice and powdery. It help that TM puts in in a heavy duty bag with a reusable zip tie for freshness.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

why would you use water you know is high in nitrates in a new tank?

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I opened up a bucket recently that I have had for 10 months and nice and powdery. It help that TM puts in in a heavy duty bag with a reusable zip tie for freshness.
Awesome! Thanks again!! I used to use Fritz and that stuff just settled into a bunch of clumps... and turned by mixing buckets brown. Good to know this is a solid, stable product. Happy a safe and blessed NYE!!

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why would you use water you know is high in nitrates in a new tank?
The water is a symptom, not the source. Nitrates are hovering at about 20. I would say that the source is in the existing sand (which will not convey) or the live rock - which may for whatever reason be devoid of suitable amounts of nitrifying bacteria. The goal of carrying some of the water, in addition to the live rock, etc. is to reduce stress and cycling in moving from tank A to tank B.
I've upsized tanks twice now and I was always advised to transfer as much water, etc. as possible. I'm going against that logic to a degree here by only moving 1/3... but (inclusive of the sump) that is still 50 gallons. We'll see how it goes. Some of the existing will go into holding buckets, as livestock and rock are transferred. This is still a working plan in progress.
I've ordered the Syn-Biotic Sea Salt to reinforce that bacteria and give the rock a leg up once transferred.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The water is a symptom, not the source. Nitrates are hovering at about 20. I would say that the source is in the existing sand (which will not convey) or the live rock - which may for whatever reason be devoid of suitable amounts of nitrifying bacteria. The goal of carrying some of the water, in addition to the live rock, etc. is to reduce stress and cycling in moving from tank A to tank B.
I've upsized tanks twice now and I was always advised to transfer as much water, etc. as possible. I'm going against that logic to a degree here by only moving 1/3... but (inclusive of the sump) that is still 50 gallons. We'll see how it goes. Some of the existing will go into holding buckets, as livestock and rock are transferred. This is still a working plan in progress.
I've ordered the Syn-Biotic Sea Salt to reinforce that bacteria and give the rock a leg up once transferred.
Add some chemiPure elite. It will reduce any chance of toxins and keep the phos and nitrate levels in check

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back