Tropics in Alaska

joemarchetti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
As a resident of Anchorage, AK I have been praying for an abrupt increase in the effects of global warming for many years. :sad: Since I have been unable to detect any appreciable impacts on our weather I decided to bring a little of the warmth of the tropics to my home about 3 years ago. I started with a 55 gal fish only (15†lionfish and others) and quickly decided that I would need a much bigger tank. I currently have a 120 gal predator tank whose residents are 1 Huma Trigger, 1 Clown Trigger, 1 Purple Tang, and 1 Porcupine Puffer. I am in the process of moving the residents of my 80 gal reef that was overrun with corals into a new 180 gal home. The move should be completed before Christmas.
Seems like a great site. I have learned so much from reading other sites and I am looking forward to gleaning knowledge from you all as well.

jimmybling31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great to see someone from the nation's largest state has some reef tanks. I would die up there. wouldn't be able to get any nice corals or anything.

OP
OP
J

joemarchetti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, You'd be surprised. We get some pretty nice stuff. You just have to pay extra attention to the shipping methods. I will post some pics of my tank when I get a chance (who knows when that will be though)

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the site! Looking forward to seeing pic's of your new tank in the future!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to everyone!!!

Kate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if I lived in Alaska, the tank would keep my sanity! :) How do you stand six months of dark??? I'd have a big tank, with lot's of lights! :)

OP
OP
J

joemarchetti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The winters are long... But the six months of light on the other side are well worth it. The tanks really do help with the sanity though. No they don't. Stop talking back.

Kate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh noooooooooooo! :) He's lost his mind! I guess we will have to help you to find it again! :)

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 41 50.0%
  • NO

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back