Trouble and starting over...

Easdem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y'all...

So due to some strange circumstances, I am upgrading my aquarium.

backstory: I have had a 65 gallon tank for three years...for some odd reason, I haven't been able to keep the "easy" corals but the "hard" ones to keep thrive. Xenia's and Mushrooms wither, Zoas do well for a while, grow thrive but then I loose 1/2 of the colony. The crazy thing is that my hammers/torches and other LPS/SPS go bananas.

Ive had recently some strange goopy white algae all over my rock- no matter what i do it comes back. Water chemistry is textbook, I've even sent it off to get analyzed...Perfect results.

All the water parameters are great. Have done a pile of water changes over the years...don't know what the problem could be. The only guess I have is that when I rinsed the dry sand for the sand bed, I used a bucket that I had in the garage that may have had some soapy residue. Other than that, no clue.

SO...I changed jobs and will be working from home. I am moving my home office and have room for a 48" tank now. I ordered a Red Sea 350 and plan on setting it up and transferring the live bits over.

Starting with new live sand for sure and probably also all new rock. Or maybe dip my current rock in hydrogen peroxide to kill the algae.

What do you all think I should do?

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably had too much lighting. Sps generally require a lot more light than soft corals. If there is too much light the softies will close. As far as the goopy white algae I would guess it's a bacterial bloom. Something isn't right about the bacteria. Or it's from the corals, but you should post a pic if you can.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters? What specific lighting are you using?

Xenia can actually be a little fickle. There are lots of zoanthid pests.

No shame in 'just' keeping Euphyllia and SPS. That's the good stuff anyway ;) I would not nuke my good mature live rock with H2O2.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 167 73.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 39 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back