Semi-start over

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. A few months ago, life took over and unfortunately got me out of being able to have time to do weekly water changes on our 125 mixed reef. We've lost no fish at all, but we lost nearly every single coral in our tank except for softies.

Currently we have zoas, mushrooms, finger leather, gsp, and toadstools thriving. We also have 2 BTAb, and a few rock flower nems as well.

All of our sps and euphylia has died. When I last checked our parameters, nitrate was in the 60-80 range. I did a water change and got it down to around 20. Didn't check phosphates.

Anyway, for filtration, we have 3 of the biggest size seachem tidal filters. I rinse the media once a week, or every other week which likely contributed to my issues.

I've been thinking about adding our FX6 or FX4 instead, but I am so hear these are worse.

I can't do a sump. So that's out for the time being.

So with going back to water changes and more frequent filter cleaning, should things eventually pick back up? We hate our bland our tank has become. All critters though (fish, inverts) are doing great.

Thanks!

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think 2 FX4 or 1 FX6 would work fine, just try to keep some type of schedule for cleaning the canister.
I have 1 fx4 on my 75 gallon and love it, plus it's super easy to maintain and it's super quiet

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. A few months ago, life took over and unfortunately got me out of being able to have time to do weekly water changes on our 125 mixed reef. We've lost no fish at all, but we lost nearly every single coral in our tank except for softies.

Currently we have zoas, mushrooms, finger leather, gsp, and toadstools thriving. We also have 2 BTAb, and a few rock flower nems as well.

All of our sps and euphylia has died. When I last checked our parameters, nitrate was in the 60-80 range. I did a water change and got it down to around 20. Didn't check phosphates.

Anyway, for filtration, we have 3 of the biggest size seachem tidal filters. I rinse the media once a week, or every other week which likely contributed to my issues.

I've been thinking about adding our FX6 or FX4 instead, but I am so hear these are worse.

I can't do a sump. So that's out for the time being.

So with going back to water changes and more frequent filter cleaning, should things eventually pick back up? We hate our bland our tank has become. All critters though (fish, inverts) are doing great.

Thanks!
HOB refugium/skimmer both good/necessary at this point.
Good test kits so you know where you're at exactly. ;)
New pictures like as of now.
Keeping up on R2R, joining threads which post daily to get friendly advice/help/support.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back