trouble keeping anthias

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anyone else have an issue keeping anthias long term? i had 2 square anthias for about 2 years all together then suddenly 1 stopped eating and just died then the next one i found dead maybe 4 months after that then a few weeks ago i got 2 more lytetail anthias had them in QT for a month put them in my DT last week 1 immediately went into the rocks and i havent seen him since the second one i thought was doing well was eating really well then i found him dead this morning

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias can be finicky. They also tend to do better in groups rather than pairs, unless you’re keeping a sunburst. The important thing with them is they need to be fed several times throughout the day because they have a very high metabolism.

If you decide to try them again, try getting 3 or 5 rather than 1 or 2

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias can be finicky. They also tend to do better in groups rather than pairs, unless you’re keeping a sunburst. The important thing with them is they need to be fed several times throughout the day because they have a very high metabolism.

If you decide to try them again, try getting 3 or 5 rather than 1 or 2
yea i get that i was feeding them 2 times a day mysis and flake i feed my fish 2-3 times a day and im not sure if i want to try again lol i hate having fish just die on me like that this is like my 5th attempt at it the other ones died in QT before they made it to my display tank

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea i get that i was feeding them 2 times a day mysis and flake i feed my fish 2-3 times a day and im not sure if i want to try again lol i hate having fish just die on me like that this is like my 5th attempt at it the other ones died in QT before they made it to my display tank
Flake probably isn’t the best food for them from a nutrition standpoint. Anthias should be fed 3+ times every day and it helps to mix up their food with plankton, mysis, brine etc.

I definitely feel your frustration. I tried Ventralis anthias with no success and the same with a Colin’s Angel. At the end of the day there’s only so much you can do

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flake probably isn’t the best food for them from a nutrition standpoint. Anthias should be fed 3+ times every day and it helps to mix up their food with plankton, mysis, brine etc.

I definitely feel your frustration. I tried Ventralis anthias with no success and the same with a Colin’s Angel. At the end of the day there’s only so much you can do
yea they never touched the flake food it was for my other fish they only ate mysis

Back