Trouble setting up new Osmolator

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello:

I am trying to set up a brand new Universal Osmolator 3155/

I set it up per the instructions, but I am having trouble with it overfilling. The controller has been powering the pump and filling even with the optical sensor submerged in water. Fortunately, the emergency float switch has turned off the pump before causing the tank to be overfilled.

At first I thought that there might be an air bubble that is interfering with the optical sensor, but I made sure that there was no air bubble and I still had the problem.

What can I try next? Thanks!

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is this tank? Keep in mind it has timed functions so the pump always runs about 15 seconds when you power it up and overfills for 5 seconds, on anything under 50 we have to make adjustments to compensate for the timed fills. The sure test for bubbles is to catch it in the act and wipe your finger under the sensor, if it stops in 5 seconds, it was a bubble. New plastic is a bubble magnet and be careful that the top off hose is not near the sensor as the incoming water splash is a strong source of bubbles. Also, look out for siphoning, water dribbles in even after the pump stops.

OP
OP
lexinverts

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is a 45 gallon. The sensor was already submerged when it came on and started to fill. I wiped my finger under the sensor and it did not stop filling, although I may not have waited for 5 seconds.
Are you saying that once the plastic ages a little bit, it will be less prone to interference from bubbles? I will continue to watch it and provide an update if I can rule out bubbles as the cause.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would open the controller and turn the pump speed to nano. Yes, but it is not age so much as that after 3-5 days in saltwater a bacterial film will form and reduce the attraction of bubbles. A quicker but not as good fix is to clean the sensor in hot soapy water, this will remove any oily surface films but the plastic itself still repels water and attracts air.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened with mine and many others, it takes a little while to build up the film on the surface of the sensor. Turn it off for a few days with the sensor submerged and you will be good to go:)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 29 28.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 38.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.9%
Back