True? - EcoTech Marine Price increase

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per the title, is this true? Across the product line?

Lor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, as if it isnt expensive already

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard this awhile back. I went ahead and got an mp10 a week ago just incase. My first ecotech product... seems nice but im not sure i would spend anymore than i did on one. Seems overpriced as it is...

The good thing is that there is a good market for used ones too- they last a looooong time. And there are parts available- they’re repairable.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know their financial details? I’m sure they did the math ;). It’s not a kid in a garage... it’s a big company.
Big companies make mistakes all the time. Technology is getting cheaper while competition is getting stronger. Raising prices in response to more competition is a curious move.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The good thing is that there is a good market for used ones too- they last a looooong time. And there are parts available- they’re repairable.

Ya i was origonally going to pick up a used one, but for the price they sell for used i said screw it and got a brand new one. Atleast i know i can get most of my money back if i decide i want to sell it...

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, true. I just thought it was interesting that you think you know their business finances better than they do ;)

I don’t, never claimed I did, and they don’t know the effect of a 10% across the board price hike on sales. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

ReefyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe they are going to try a more aggressive sales promotion(s) this year. They can put it on sale 10% a bunch of times throughout the year (instead of just the normal one or two times) and on Black Friday do 20% off while not taking any additional losses.

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, I'm almost certain this is in response the changes in tariffs, which looks to be upwards of 25%. I'm sure that EcoTech held out as long as they absolutely could since the action went into effect, July 6th, 2018.

I've hardly seen manufacturers and vendors actively encourage their customers to make purchases prior to price increases personally, but I'd say kudos for EcoTech for the announcement. Also I wouldn't be surprised if other manufacturers, with products that are subject to the same tariffs, begin to follow suit. This may be something to consider for reefers in the market for some reef gear that might also be affected.

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an owner of an American manufacturing company, the price of raw materials have gone up by at least 20%. This is for materials from domestic (USA) mills. The only reason for this is greed. Nothing to do with the 25%tariffs.

WRT ecotech’s patents, there is a substantial amount of prior art that dates back to the 60’s for use in nuclear and chemical tank applications. Also there patent expires around 2026!

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As an owner of an American manufacturing company, the price of raw materials have gone up by at least 20%. This is for materials from domestic (USA) mills. The only reason for this is greed. Nothing to do with the 25%tariffs.

WRT ecotech’s patents, there is a substantial amount of prior art that dates back to the 60’s for use in nuclear and chemical tank applications. Also there patent expires around 2026!

I'm guessing you work with steel or aluminum? The domestic mills increased their price once the imported price raised. Interesting to hear about the prior art there.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back