Trumpet coral help

dib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had trumpets before. But these don't look "plump" like pics I've seen. They are more rigid. What can I do for them? I feed my tank every 4 days with the simp off.

Attachments

• 1423445722811.jpg
    1423445722811.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 625
  • 1423445735881.jpg
    1423445735881.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 602

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your parameters acceptable? They are a lower light needy coral. Low/med flow. Yours seem to have retracted, which means they are not happy with their environment. Check/test water, flow, light.

OP
OP
dib

dib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perimeters all check good a couple days ago. They've been on the bottom with light flow, so I just tried bumping them up halfway.

OP
OP
dib

dib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I direct feed and more often. I have a variety of frozen, liquid and powders. Which is best for them

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd move them back down to lower light. Might be able to entice them out with some powdered food like roids or gonipower. They look pretty much toasted though.

jasonandsarah

Sticks, sticks and more STICKS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they close enough for anything to be stinging them? They look really unhappy.
Like said above I'd put them lower in the tank. Maybe even under an overhang? I keep the ones I have in a good amount of shade, they weren't happy on the sand bed while still under full light. Now they're fat and happy.....

tom39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When mine start to recede, I do a 25% wc and in a day or two they are full again. But depending on how large your system is, that may be a large order.
Also, I have never target feed and mine grow like weeds. Yours may not like what you are feeding them and this is their way of telling you to stop it.

kendavjac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this happen to one of my trumpets. Don't know why it tanked, as all my other LPS where growing like weeds. In about a week all of the tissue was gone and I thought it was dead. Left the skeleton in the back corner of my tank, and 3 months later I noticed it had live flesh on it. Fast forward 3 months later and now it is twice the size of the original colony.

Brinkfish312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I got mine, they took a while to liven up. Found that they like the light, but don't like much flow at all. We try to feed ours whenever we feed the rest, sometimes they take one, sometimes they don't. They've eaten mysis shrimp, blood worms, black worms, and maybe some coral frenzy pellets.
I would def check the flow, bc mine were really ticked about having a tad too much, and as soon as I moved them down a couple inches and next to a rock that blocked the flow, they've started splitting off. Happy go lucky.

pristineaqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the same issue as well. Mine are closed and only have had them in my 20g for 2 days. Any suggestions would help.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1433966115.075444.jpg
the sweepers still come out at night though. Frustrated a little lol..I moved it from the bottom of my sand bed to bout mid way in tank on live rock.

Marc.The.Shark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine high light about 1/2 way up, low flow. Took a while after 1st adding them to the tank to get adjusted & moved them a couple times. They're pretty hardy and will come back from bleaching/tissue loss, just have to find a spot they like. I've found that constantly moving them stresses them too, tho. Let it ride for a week or so unless they start looking worse.

Marc.The.Shark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a mix of Reef Frenzy/Marine Snow in the tank 1 or 2 times a week. I don't target feed any of my coral. The candy canes have tripled in size in 6 months. Took them a couple months to get going tho. I try to feed the mix after main lights are out & blue led's on, when all the feeding tentacles are out

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can cheat by adding the juice from frozen foods like Mysid shrimp into the water about 20 min before you feed. The strong flavor of mysid will normally elicit a feeding response and should make all the feeding tentacles come out. This allows the time for the coral to convert from light capturing mode to feeding mode before all the food is gone from the water. This works for most hard to get eating corals to feed.
Or you can also take a turkey baster and blow around in the substrate at your rockwork line where it touches the sand. You can feed your corals and help remove detritus from your system. They love that stuff. I do this a few times a week as detritus is eaten by most corals and is nutrition packed.

We used to keep and feed Dendrophilia and Carnation corals alive years ago by stirring the substrate daily.

pristineaqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1435625995.084770.jpg

Can anyone identify this coral ? If so where should it be placed in the tank ?

Thanks

jasonandsarah

Sticks, sticks and more STICKS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not positive on an ID but I'd say pot it in the shade for now based on the shape it's in. Doesn't look to be doing good at all...

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 31 21.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 106 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%

Back