Trumpet Coral, need help!

1Matthew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My trumpet has been acting strange for the past year or so. It had a big spike of growth last year with 6 heads growing and very fleshy. Now it is very shriveled and not getting any growth, but not receding or showing any signs of sickness. Could anyone explain this?

Parameters:
alk: 7
Calcium: 470-480
Magnesium: 45
Nitrate: 0
Salinity: 1.024

A4D9B2DD-A63A-481A-9D06-F28BCF4A3AB5.jpeg

Simsung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trumpets in general are an easy to grow coral and do not really need anything other than some light to grow and multiply, so something must be off.

Regarding your test result, do you mean that your magnesium is 1450? 45 is not anywhere near where it should be.

Also I don't have scientific proof for this, but based on my experience, dosing iodine really helps trumpets thrive (other coral too) I bought a couple heads in really bad shape and it is now approximately 35+ heads 5-6 months later.

Feeding them also helps tremendously, I would say at least doubles the growth rate.

September
lGXTjEm.jpg

February
4Xey7qN.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
1Matthew

1Matthew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trumpets in general are an easy to grow coral and do not really need anything other than some light to grow and multiply, so something must be off.

Regarding your test result, do you mean that your magnesium is 1450? 45 is not anywhere near where it should be.

Also I don't have scientific proof for this, but based on my experience, dosing iodine really helps trumpets thrive (other coral too) I bought a couple heads in really bad shape and it is now approximately 35+ heads 5-6 months later.

Feeding them also helps tremendously, I would say at least doubles the growth rate.

September
lGXTjEm.jpg

February
4Xey7qN.jpg
Yep I meant 1450 do you think my other results are fine. I know my nitrates need to be a little higher.

Upvote 0

Simsung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I meant 1450 do you think my other results are fine. I know my nitrates need to be a little higher.
You should get your nitrates above zero as now you are risking dinos, however, I don't think that lack of nitrates is the reason your trumpet is not doing well.
Other parameters seem to be well within an acceptable range.

Do you feed it at all? It's obviously missing something to thrive. If other corals in your tank are fine I would start with feeding some frozen mysis and dosing iod and see where that takes you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
1Matthew

1Matthew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should get your nitrates above zero as now you are risking dinos, however, I don't think that lack of nitrates is the reason your trumpet is not doing well.
Other parameters seem to be well within an acceptable range.

Do you feed it at all? It's obviously missing something to thrive. If other corals in your tank are fine I would start with feeding some frozen mysis and dosing iod and see where that takes you

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.6%
Back