Trumpet coral peeling

Brian Mountain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trumpet coral placed last week looked ok for a bit and then started to retract. I moved it to different spot to see if it would like it better and it has only stayed retracted and now is droopy and appears to be peeling from top of the polyps.

Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates all 0
Ph 8.3
Alk 10
Help....

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's odd, typically they are a very resilient coral. The only parameter you've left out is salinity; also, how are your other corals looking? Have you tried dipping the coral in a iodide solution?

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man! Sorry Brian.

I've see mine wax and wane. FWIW, I think they must be pretty resilient, and I would not count it out no matter how bad it looks or gets.

My small colony started as three heads, died back to a single, with just a trace of green tissue, and is now over thirty heads.

Maybe someone in the [HASHTAG]#Reefsquad[/HASHTAG] has some trumpet experience?

(Post a picture Brian, it may help)

OP
OP
Brian Mountain

Brian Mountain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's odd, typically they are a very resilient coral. The only parameter you've left out is salinity; also, how are your other corals looking? Have you tried dipping the coral in a iodide solution?
Have not dipped, how do you do that?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dip would be my first course of action as well. You simply purchase a coral dip (there are many kinds), mix up the solution with tank water following their directions, place the coral in there for about 15 minutes, rinse well with new tank water then place it back in the tank. Easy peasy. Not saying this will cure the coral, but it can't hurt and might even help. These are very hardy corals and I've see them practically past the point of no return, only to look over one day and it's back two fold.

OP
OP
Brian Mountain

Brian Mountain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dip would be my first course of action as well. You simply purchase a coral dip (there are many kinds), mix up the solution with tank water following their directions, place the coral in there for about 15 minutes, rinse well with new tank water then place it back in the tank. Easy peasy. Not saying this will cure the coral, but it can't hurt and might even help. These are very hardy corals and I've see them practically past the point of no return, only to look over one day and it's back two fold.
Awesome.... Wish me luck!

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just one head that's doing this or all of them? Is it getting a lot of flow where it's at now? How do your other corals look? Can you post a picture of the coral in question?

OP
OP
Brian Mountain

Brian Mountain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just one head that's doing this or all of them? Is it getting a lot of flow where it's at now? How do your other corals look? Can you post a picture of the coral in question?
It started in the middle where stalks are connected but has progressed to tops of polyps. Shouldnt be getting much flow and on sand. Running my lights 50 blues and 25 FS. At work but will definitely post pics when home.

OP
OP
Brian Mountain

Brian Mountain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are LPS affected with high alk + low nutrients like SPS are by way of their tips burning? Until recently your Alk was quite high so just thinking out aloud if that could have been what caused the issue?
Not sure if are or not. I'll do some research

OP
OP
Brian Mountain

Brian Mountain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know not good, but blue being where peeling.

image.jpeg

image.jpg

OP
OP
Brian Mountain

Brian Mountain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first pic is when first placed in tank and the later shot is from yesterday. It looks like it is recovering a bit, I hope...

DSC_9568.JPG

DSC_9579.JPG

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you experienced an alk spike, I would agree with Yash. If the RTN/STN has halted and appears to be in recovery, I would advise to spot feed it when it is showing it's feeder tentacles like in the last photo.

OP
OP
Brian Mountain

Brian Mountain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you experienced an alk spike, I would agree with Yash. If the RTN/STN has halted and appears to be in recovery, I would advise to spot feed it when it is showing it's feeder tentacles like in the last photo.
Will do!

Barb0713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man! Sorry Brian.

I've see mine wax and wane. FWIW, I think they must be pretty resilient, and I would not count it out no matter how bad it looks or gets.

My small colony started as three heads, died back to a single, with just a trace of green tissue, and is now over thirty heads.

Maybe someone in the [HASHTAG]#Reefsquad[/HASHTAG] has some trumpet experience?

(Post a picture Brian, it may help)
I am a newbie, in my 3 rd round of frags in this process. And my little one head trumpet has been here since day one and I’ve done some crazy things in there I have a handle on the tank now and he is beat up and scrubby , but still kickin

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back