Trumpet suddenly not opening, some heads with skeleton showing

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! I thought I did post a pic.

feel like this has gone beyond lighting. It had lots of phosphates, a bta sting it and then it got knocked down. I only turned the lights down by an hour, not by any intensity.

All my parameters are the same as in the original post, except that my nitrates and phosphates are 0 now.

IMG_4124.JPG
Some nitrates and phosphates are good for corals. Maybe stripping the nutrients too fast in your tank upset the coral.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with stripping water of nutrients too fast. A lot of changes have happened in a short time. The coral doesn't look terrible, it looks like it's trying to acclimate itself to the current conditions. No more big changes, stay in a routine to keep things stable as far as alk and calcium then just enjoy the tank.

OP
OP
ArtsyAxolotl

ArtsyAxolotl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also agree. I knew doing so many water changes wasn't good, but there was just sooo much filter media loose. There wasn't a way to leave it. I suppose in hind sight I could have saved some old water before doing my frantic water changes, instead of just skimming off the top of what I was taking out.

Update for you guys though... the trumpet is trying it's best. A for effort. A good chunk ignoring the heads are getting their fluffiness back, but they aren't quite at the point of their full potential. I have not seen feeding tentacles yet. One of the bigger heads at the top has lost almost all its skin, which I'm sad about but at least the coral is doing better in other areas.

I'll take pictures tomorrow evening. But I was checking my emails and realized I missed the last comment on this and figured I should update!

OP
OP
ArtsyAxolotl

ArtsyAxolotl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm conflicted. Some of the heads are puffy. Some are completely dead. And a couple have some sort of algae growing out of them..

I kinda feel like I should pitch it? I don't know.. it hasn't had its tentacles out at all.. I'm going to keep being patient and trying not to bother it, but those little tufts of wispy algae make me nervous.

IMG_4144.JPG

IMG_4145.JPG

Last edited:

Jerry Smith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did this two months ago and just now came back to 100%. Stop trying to change things. If your not having an issues just let it go. Mine was because I fragged it and moved it so I had room for some sps I got, and it was ticked. Moved it back and it came back. Fyi I'm not telling you what to do by any means it's just if you ask anyone in the hobby for more than a year, they all tell you to keep things the same and any changes need to happen really slow. My candy cane now
f26439388f64291d0498b4b452193105.jpg

Jerry Smith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm conflicted. Some of the heads are puffy. Some are completely dead. And a couple have some sort of algae growing out of them..

I kinda feel like I should pitch it? I don't know.. it hasn't had its tentacles out at all.. I'm going to keep being patient and trying not to bother it, but those little tufts of wispy algae make me nervous.

IMG_4144.JPG

IMG_4145.JPG
If it's still green it will come back. Move it up into a high light and med. flow

OP
OP
ArtsyAxolotl

ArtsyAxolotl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's already as high up in light as it's been. But I see your point. I guess I'll leave it in there a bit longer and continue my messing with it.

I was just worried about the wispy stuff growing on the bare skeleton, cuz it looks like hair algae and I've had trouble with that in the past.

OP
OP
ArtsyAxolotl

ArtsyAxolotl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you're referring to the wisps at the top of your coral against the black? Yea it kinda looks like that. The strands have fuzzies in them, like feathers.

Jerry Smith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I'm not sure what it is. I have zero algae in my DT. I assumed it was it's feeding tentacles but they haven't gone away yet and all the polyps have recovered

OP
OP
ArtsyAxolotl

ArtsyAxolotl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. I'll just keep an eye on it and hope it doesn't spread. Do you think the heads that have no flesh on them at all will get the skin back? Or are those done? I guess yours must have.

Jerry Smith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine always had color on each head. Just they just wouldn't pop up and the skeletal structure was pushed all the way through. But they all came back

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back