trying not to dose phosphate and nitrate...yet

  • Thread starter Thread starter mook1178
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mook1178

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 27, 2023
Messages
535
Reaction score
600
Location
Lincoln
What state or country do you live in
Nebraska
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is just under 3 months old an I have hit the uglies. I started with 10 lbs live rock and 80 lbs dry rock. My nutrients have tanked, both on 0 ppm. I know this is the reason for the uglies, but I do not want to start dosing nutrients yet. I think the tank just needs to mature some more.

I have not changed the water in about 6 weeks. I have been dosing alkalinity and calcium. My live stock is a clown pair, goby, 2 wrasse, bleeny, and 5 chromis. I feed 1-2 frozen blocks of either mysis or brine shrimp per day. I still cannot get my nitrates above 0. I know my rock and sand are sucking up the phosphates.

I also run a skimmer. IF I turn it off the water clouds back up.

What can I do to bring up my nutrients without dosing and possibly speed up the maturity? should I turn off the skimmer and allow the water to clear up on its own? The cloudiness is most likely from a bacterial bloom.
 
Just feed act normal. I probably wouldn’t shut the skimmer off but it wouldn’t hurt. Feed twice a day 3 times if I need to
 
I will try feeding more. I may get another couple fish. I am wanting a foxface and a Tomini tang, but I am not sure if I can do that with the amount of fish I have now. 75 gallon display
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new