Trying to clear up shipping conditions for BTA's.

ySo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Can someone help clear some things up as I've read a few threads here and there is a lot of conflicting info.

I'm looking to have shipped to me multiple (15) BTA's split over 3 bags in one polystyrene box. The box will probably be about 30x30x45cm. It would be using 40hr heatpacks. The outside temp will be low 2-4 degrees Celsius (36-40 F roughly).

The sender advised me they'd bag the bta's and insulate with bubble wrap/newspaper, tape 3 x 40hr heat packs to the inside of the lid then they were going to seal the polystyrene box with shrink wrap.

Would that be suitable or should we do away with the shrink wrap and have some small holes to supply oxygen?

I ask as last week I had 4 BTA's sent to me in a polybox, sealed with tape and 3 x 36 hour heatpacks. The heat packs were cold and I lost one BTA, the other 3 survived fine enough. Also this is a big/expensive order of 15 BTA's that I want to make sure arrive to me safe and sound.

Thanks for the input in advance.

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like a lot of animals for only three bags. What is the distance between yourself and the seller?

OP
OP
Y

ySo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like a lot of animals for only three bags. What is the distance between yourself and the seller?

Distance is about 400miles. They'll be posted just before 4.30pm but I won't receive them til about 11.30am the next day as no option to collect in person.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do 1-2 per bag, max. The big problem with shipping nems is oxygen is a must and they deplete the water of its nutrients very quickly, 1 nem in 1/4 of a gallon with oxygen in the bag will survive 36 hrs, max. I ship nems all the time and if you don't do it properly, they will die.

OP
OP
Y

ySo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I will advise that to the sender.

About the packing though should there be a hole in the box or is that counter productive letting out more heat than the oxygen provides for the heat packs?

Also how many packs to use? As I recently had a few nems sent, no hole in the box and there was 3 heatpack and they were cold.

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I will advise that to the sender.

About the packing though should there be a hole in the box or is that counter productive letting out more heat than the oxygen provides for the heat packs?

Also how many packs to use? As I recently had a few nems sent, no hole in the box and there was 3 heatpack and they were cold.
No holes, as you stated, its counterproductive :) For a box that big, I would use 4-5 heat packs, taped under the lid.

OP
OP
Y

ySo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright thanks.

The box the guy is using is:

38 X 28.5 X 25 CM - Roughly 12 litres or 20 pints

Not sure how many bags fit into that.

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he a member here on R2R? I would ask him if he has any bigger boxes. You could probably fit about 3-4 bags, each with water and oxygen. Make sure he has oxygen, as it is needed to ensure the best results when shipping. I go to my local vet office and they will shoot some in the shipping bag after I put the water and nem in.

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright thanks.

The box the guy is using is:

38 X 28.5 X 25 CM - Roughly 12 litres or 20 pints

Not sure how many bags fit into that.
And where are you/he located? I can probably send you a box that will work, i have tons of them.

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you would need about 7 bags min, you would need 2 boxes that size

OP
OP
Y

ySo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're in the UK, but appreciate the offer of help guys. Just came across a lot of good info here so made a post to clear up some things about my own shipment.

OP
OP
Y

ySo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update for anyone that' curious.

I received the BTA's today. 18 of them instead of 15 as he added 3 baby ones.

The seller posted them at 6.30 am yesterday (when he told me this I was super worried). I received them today at 10 am.

There was 3 bags, 6 anemones per bag in a tight fit polystyrene box which was in a cardboard box. There was 3 heatpack which surprisingy were still warm (I checked immediatey not 10 min later). It was also 2 degrees Celsius all night.

2 of the bags the water was muddy looking but all the anemones actually looked fine. I floated them in my sump and put a drip line to each bag on a fast drip, after 20 min I tipped out most the water and fas dripped for a further 30 min.

I am delighted and amazed to say all 18 anemones are in good health, they were super sticky, holding on to my fingers from the bag and all took hold to the rock and are out in the light and looking just fine!

Amazed how resilient bubble tips can be! It probably helps they were all tank raised clones that were fully healed and settled before selling.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back