Trying to decide on new fish

TommyDelaney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5x2x2 150g. Current stock list includes 2" bluespine unicornfish, 4"foxfase, 2" scopas tang, 3" lawnmower blenny. I'm hoping to add a few different kinds of wrasse. I think I'm leaning towards either the orange back or scotts wrasse and a black leopard wrasse. I'm hoping to have 3 or 4 different kinds. Anyone have any experience with any of those species or any recommendations for others. I also plan to add a bluethroat trigger and possibly some other tangs. There is no issue trading in fish when they outgrow so no worries about size. Any other recommendations for fish for the tank. It is a reef tank with lps and sps. Preferably looking for other tangs that will go well and wrasses but any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

I was looking through your list, I’m not super familiar with the wrasse family so can’t really help there.

I did want to give a quick thought though. Not tang police, but just overall successful long term reefing advice The 2” unicorn will outgrow very quickly. The fox face and scopas will be just the right size. Instead of thinking of rehoming a pet if they get too big, plan out your next purchases to fit into you tank as part of you forever family. I would return the unicorn, use the scopas and fox face as a start to match future fish for size and temperament.

The less fish being taken out and rehomed or replafed for whatever reason, the less chance for issues Or disease.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my yellow coris wrasse plus they are common and pretty cheap.

OP
OP
TommyDelaney

TommyDelaney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

I was looking through your list, I’m not super familiar with the wrasse family so can’t really help there.

I did want to give a quick thought though. Not tang police, but just overall successful long term reefing advice The 2” unicorn will outgrow very quickly. The fox face and scopas will be just the right size. Instead of thinking of rehoming a pet if they get too big, plan out your next purchases to fit into you tank as part of you forever family. I would return the unicorn, use the scopas and fox face as a start to match future fish for size and temperament.

The less fish being taken out and rehomed or replafed for whatever reason, the less chance for issues Or disease.
Thanks for the advice i knew it would outgrow it in a year or two, but I don’t want to hurt the fish by moving it too much so thanks for the heads up.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard that they bug the clean up crew. I wouldn’t mind if I had to remove clean up crew but some of them would be pretty difficult to remove. Does urs bother any inverts?
Nope but I heard that they do take feather dusters. Honestly mine might be a bit too small still for me to tell I got it really small and it doubles in size but is still not full grown. My hermits areminiscule however and I have never noticed it going at them.

OP
OP
TommyDelaney

TommyDelaney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope but I heard that they do take feather dusters. Honestly mine might be a bit too small still for me to tell I got it really small and it doubles in size but is still not full grown. My hermits areminiscule however and I have never noticed it going at them.
Cool thanks for the recommendation, I’ll have to look into that, really pretty fish!

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thanks for the recommendation, I’ll have to look into that, really pretty fish!
Honestly I love mine but the only note I will make is I have a thread and a video on their care that I made a while back you can check it out. Note however when I added 2 tangs it hid for 6 weeks then came out fine if anything fatter. When you first add it expect that it may disapear for a bit but not 6 weeks that was unheard of or basically unheard of until me to my knowledge.

OP
OP
TommyDelaney

TommyDelaney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I love mine but the only note I will make is I have a thread and a video on their care that I made a while back you can check it out. Note however when I added 2 tangs it hid for 6 weeks then came out fine if anything fatter. When you first add it expect that it may disapear for a bit but not 6 weeks that was unheard of or basically unheard of until me to my knowledge.
Ok thanks I’ll check that out

Back