Trying to dial in pH

Bigjay615

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure I need to do some homework and some Parameter checking...
But I currently run a CaRx and my oh swings from almost 8.4 to just above 8.0.

Im sure this is too much swing as all I hear about is stability... Hahaha

Kalk stirrer to balance??

I just bought a trident to try and monitor some of this and will be playing a fun game of tidy up sump and install new equipment this weekend.

I have a dos that I use for AWC and a few kamoer x1s I picked up so I have the ability to do automated dosing.
I just picked up two small pumps and was going to switch them into the AWC role on wifi plugs for quicker & much quieter awcs.

My skimmer has an air line popped out of the stand but not all the way to fresh air. I can prob make that happen this weekend as well.

My corals grow, but I just want to do best for my wet friends... Admittedly, I get lazy and seem to throw money at things that reduce maintaince in an attempt to have a beautiful reef that I just look at hahaha
Had a vicious aptasia breakout that smothered a lot of my corals before I got it under control... Building back well but lost some nice stuff :(

Now I'm just babbling... Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
J

OP
OP
B

Bigjay615

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, it is fine. A pH swing is natural and there's no evidence that the swing itself is an issue, as opposed to the low pH attained at night. :)
So a little swing is cool but I should try to keep the night levels a bit higher. Doesn't seem as big of an issue being as low as others have but couldn't hurt to keep it a few point higher.

Fresh air may even be able to do that, right? I can put 2 solinoids opposed to each other on a split line that redirects to fresh air at night and inside air during the day...
Seems easy enough... Hahaha

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a little swing is cool but I should try to keep the night levels a bit higher. Doesn't seem as big of an issue being as low as others have but couldn't hurt to keep it a few point higher.

Fresh air may even be able to do that, right? I can put 2 solinoids opposed to each other on a split line that redirects to fresh air at night and inside air during the day...
Seems easy enough... Hahaha

IMO, your night levels are fine. It's levels down into the pH 7.7 range that would be more concerning to me.

More aeration can reduce the swing size, but may raise or lower the average pH depending on the alkalinity and the CO2 in the air used. If you can use outside air, few folks would benefit from ever using the inside air.

OP
OP
B

Bigjay615

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, your night levels are fine. It's levels down into the pH 7.7 range that would be more concerning to me.

More aeration can reduce the swing size, but may raise or lower the average pH depending on the alkalinity and the CO2 in the air used. If you can use outside air, few folks would benefit from ever using the inside air.
Sounds good to me! Thanks again

What's your opinion on dosing reef energy plus? I feel like I want to dos something hahahaha
I can also run the CaRx through the dos I guess instead of steady drip, right. And monitor and adjust? Or is it better to just leave it dialed in and if it ain't broke don't fix it... Hahaha

Back