Trying to dial in trident dosing even more

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the moment, I’m just using the Trident to dose ALK ober a 24 hour period, biased toward more daytime dosing. What happens when I set Ca do dose via Trident control? Will is space the doses apart as much as possible by default to avoid precipitation?

No, there's no guarantee it won't dose simultaneously. I just place a small powerhead in my sump below the dosing tubes to disperse the liquids quickly so they don't precipitate.

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, there's no guarantee it won't dose simultaneously. I just place a small powerhead in my sump below the dosing tubes to disperse the liquids quickly so they don't precipitate.
10-4, thanks. I think I may just change each one to an 10 hour interval with an hour in between. Or perhaps 18 hours for alkalinity and 4 for calcium. My demands aren’t high (yet).

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10-4, thanks. I think I may just change each one to an 10 hour interval with an hour in between. Or perhaps 18 hours for alkalinity and 4 for calcium. My demands aren’t high (yet).

This approach will cause bigger swings in the readings. If your goal is to smooth out the swings, you're much better off dosing 24/7 and placing the dosing tubes farther apart or dosing into higher flow areas.

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This approach will cause bigger swings in the readings. If your goal is to smooth out the swings, you're much better off dosing 24/7 and placing the dosing tubes farther apart or dosing into higher flow areas.
Yeah, makes sense. A bit of rerouting dose lines, but no biggie. Thanks.

DerekC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Say for dosing CA, one interval of 100ml from 00:00 to 23:59 and target value of 400ppm with range +/- 50ppm and limit of 25%. 100ml to be dosed for 1440 min, that is 0.98ml per 14 mins, a total of 102 times per day. (as shown in the Interval Summary.)
Say at test 4 times a day, first test at 00:00am.
Say first test result is 400ppm. Since it is right at the target, it will does exactly 0.98ml per 14 mins until the next test.
Say the 6am test result is now at 450ppm. That is at the +50ppm range and trident still would control it, so it would knock off 25% which is then 0.98ml x 75% = 0.735ml for the next 6 hrs.
say 12pm test result is 325ppm. This is out of the 350-450ppm range and trident will not adjust. It will just dose the default 0.98ml. Say 12am test result is still at 325ppm, trident will continue to dose the default 0.98ml. I might never get to the target?

Am I understanding correctly how Trident behaves?
I think I do understand but I just cannot wrap my head around how to make adjustments to make it correctly adjust to keep the target ppm as tight as possible. It seems the volume of dosing in the interval is utmost important.
There are just so many variables to adjust - the volume in the interval, the number of interval, the range, the limit...

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with a daily dose estimate and use the default values. Let it run and you’ll get a sense of it. If it trends up or down, lower or raise the daily base dose, and then let the trident do its thing again and watch for a trend. When you notice it staying stable over 1 week, you’re probably pretty good.

As for your example CA number swinging from 450 to 325, that isn’t going to happen in a matter of days so it’s not a scenario you really have to deal with. 20ppm swings are more realistic. You should see the dosing causing longer term trends over week long time periods. So when it starts to get too low and out of range you should ultimately notice before it stops adjusting. When it goes out of range, something significant has caused it over a longer period and you’ll need to come up with a new base dose anyway.

As for all the variables, if you’re using the controlled dosing it’s going to manage the volume of each dose and number of doses based on your base daily volume automatically.

Back